Germans are highly engaged consumers with a strong desire to see the world. They hold travel in high regard and spend more of their time and income doing it. With their longer trips and higher levels of spending comes more travel research, and German travellers use more sources of information when planning their trips than other travellers.
Much of the appeal of travel for Germans is about the destination itself rather than generic qualities. German travellers are driven primarily by Canada’s natural scenery (national parks in Alberta) and a high interest in experiencing the Canadian way of life. The German consumer does not often differentiate Alberta from British Columbia, so we also market under the Canada's West umbrella.
In Germany we will reach our targeted travellers by the following channels: consumer, travel trade, media and public relations with the largest investment in the consumer channel.
- Close relationship and sharing of information with Tourism B.C. and the CTC
- Great understanding and implementation of EQ™ in marketing initiatives
- In-market resources and expertise (MDD/Media Relations)
- Favourable relations with travel trade and media
- German travel trade consolidation and low margins/profitability is making it difficult to introduce new products
- Alberta offerings in receptive operator tariffs are limited
- General lack of awareness of Alberta’s winter products
- Limited marketing resources to combat competition
- One in five of the German market potential has not taken a trip to Canada
- Canada as a holiday destination is intriguing to one in three Germans
- A growing consumer interest for long-haul travel
- Air access is good, increase in air capacity for 2011
- The economy in Germany could recover more quickly than previously forecast
- Fierce competition amongst long-haul destinations including emerging destinations in Africa, South America and the Middle-East
- Air fares into the U.S. are much cheaper than direct flights in Canada
- Fluctuating exchange of Euro vs. U.S. and Canadian dollar
- Vastness of the country is intimidating for those trying to plan trip itineraries