Development Operations Lead
- Nov 12, 2016
- Oct 3, 2016
- Travel Alberta
Position: Development Operations Lead
Department: Global Consumer Marketing
Travel Alberta is the tourism marketing agency of the Government of Alberta. A team of youthfully spirited adventurers lead in marketing Alberta’s authentic experiences in breathtaking landscapes around the world. Our mission: to create economic value and prosperity with compelling invitations to explore Alberta. Travel Alberta strives to empower individual passion and build inspirational leadership as ONE TEAM. If you want to be part of an award-winning organization with strong corporate values, passionate team members and a great culture, Travel Alberta is the destination for you.
The Development Operations Lead is responsible for the design and management of the distributed cloud environment and code deployments to support Travel Alberta’s global marketing operations. The incumbent will also hold accountability for the end to end process for cloud infrastructure design, deployment, environment builds, system security, and data management for our Development, QA, UAT and Production environments.
This position requires an individual who is well-versed in software deployment, environment management, data management and can also manage the systems components for a highly reliable infrastructure.
Design, implement, and maintain supporting operations systems, scripts, and applications responsible for deployment, testing, building of code for cloud distributed system
- Build highly scalable and reliable systems including:
- Monitoring and Alerting
- Security Hardening and Testing
- Logging and Log Consolidation
- Build and maintain Development, QA, UAT and production environments
- Automated data migration between environments
- Where possible, ensure configurations are consistent between environments
- Work with testing teams to define and implement test data creation processes which are cost effective and repeatable and ensure master environments are kept up to date with the latest testing data
- Ensure scalability and adequate resources for servers, services and applications.
Implement and maintain security for marketing cloud infrastructure and systems, ensuring integrity of applications, data and assets
- Define security best practices for marketing cloud platform and provide guidance to application development teams.
- Identify security gaps and provide recommendations to address gaps on both new and existing platforms.
- Document security policy for marketing cloud environments and build tools to automate enforcement of policy.
- Design, test, certify and document cloud services, environments and systems.
- Collaborate with business units to help architect secure applications.
- Follow industry trends and build proof of concepts leveraging new cloud services or latest best practices.
Plan and coordinate release management and deployment process
- Managing code release cycles from builds to deployments
- Develop and implement tools and standard procedures to manage production releases
- Ensure that the architecture and infrastructure on which the application will be deployed are known and documented
- Ensure that a detailed deployment plan has been documented along with a fallback plan
- Communicate deployment status and manage deployment issues to resolution
Automation, Continuous Integration, and Continuous Delivery
- Manage new and existing code assets to conform to Travel Alberta’s process to automatically build, package, test and deploy applications.
- Implement / maintain scripts, applications and frameworks related to continuous integration and continuous delivery.
- Increase Teams’ Velocity and streamline processes through automation.
Performance tuning applications, websites and systems
- Monitor and report performance/uptime and availability metrics
- Identify opportunities to automate process to improve team velocity
- Track resource utilization and adjust for optimal performance (VMs, CDNs, Load Balancers, Blobs)
- Perform system maintenance and upgrades
Lead disaster recovery plan and mitigation strategies
- Downtime mitigation plan
- Disaster recovery plan
- Create automated build scripts for recovery
- Diagnose and resolve production issues, including being on call, incident command, quarantine
- Perform root cause analysis, post-mortem and follow-through with the relevant actions
- Execute recovery of systems and services as defined in plan.
Collaborate closely with technical, analytic, and infrastructure services providers
- Provides support to project managers for the creation of plans, costs, and risks for the implementation of IT infrastructure solutions
- Oversee third-party service provider service delivery governance and service level assurance for assigned BCO services and products
- Lead and oversee programs and initiatives with service providers focused on service quality improvement, continuous improvement, and service capability improvement
- Proven experience supporting 24x7, highly-available, service-oriented, distributed production systems
- Substantial experience administering, supporting, debugging, and tuning cloud based infrastructure, preference to Azure solution
- Experience documenting security controls for web applications, cloud environments and on-premise infrastructure
- Must have demonstrated knowledge of modern best practices in software deployment, environment management and release management
- Skilled in continuous Integration /Delivery.
- Script Development using PowerShell
- Knowledge of .NET Framework
- .NET and Azure deployments (Web, VM, Cloud Services)
- Skill in Building NUGET packages for distribution and deployments
- System Administration
- Automation Tools
- Knowledge of software development life cycle methodologies
- Knowledge of Azure (Infrastructure, Platform, and Software as a service)
- Detail oriented with excellent analytical and problem solving skills, including the ability to deal with situations where information is difficult to obtain
- Software Development in .NET and C#
- Skilled in working with build and deployment software (ex. Octopus) and servers
Your degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or a relevant field is complemented with 5 years of work experience in a fast-paced technical production environment, preferably at scale in a mixed web/mobile environment. Your dedication and passion has taken your career to this point, now it is time to advance to a new level by stepping into Travel Alberta’s exciting working environment.
This position is based in Calgary, Alberta
Employment status: Full Time
This position offers an excellent benefits package with SunLife Financial, including extended health and dental coverage, life insurance, travel insurance, long term disability and a flexible spending account. This individual will also participate in a defined benefit plan with the Management Employee Pension Plan (MEPP), have free and confidential access to Morneau-Shepell (employee assistance provider) and be a part of Travel Alberta’s learning and development program, which includes up to 100% reimbursement to further education.
In 2014, Travel Alberta was recognized for providing an exceptional place to work by being awarded Top 65 Employers in Alberta, Best Small and Medium Employers in Canada and one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures.
Closing Date: November 12, 2016
If you have the qualifications to succeed in this role, submit a cover letter, resume and your salary expectations, with the job title in the subject line of your email to email@example.com. If applicable, please indicate the name of the Travel Alberta Team Member who referred you to this role.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Any personal information submitted will be managed with the strictest of confidentiality.