Information Officer – Lead
- Feb 15, 2017
- Jan 26, 2017
- Alberta Parks
Alberta Northern Rockies
Alberta Parks – Hinton District is seeking motivated, courteous and hardworking individuals with exceptional customer service and communication skills for a seasonal position in a beautiful provincial park setting.
The Lead Information Officer, under the direction of the Business & Information Supervisor, will be responsible for supervising seasonal Information Officers who work within your location (between1-3 staff).
These positions will be based in William A. Switzer Provincial Park and Pierre Grey’s Lakes Provincial Park. Please specify your preferred location in your cover letter.
Position: Information Officer – Lead
Classification: Administrative Support 3
Salary: $21.14-25.83/hour (plus 11.2% in lieu of benefits & evening/weekend premium)
Closing Date: February 15, 2017
- Provide exceptional customer service to Park visitors as the primary contact for day users and campers
- Daily opening, closing and monitoring of facility to ensure it is available to the public during scheduled hours of operation
- Register campers, record reservations and process payments using the reserve.albertaparks.ca system (location specific)
- Operate & Program cash register and Point of Sale system
- Manage cash in till, complete cash-outs, print reports, prepare deposits, and complete dedicated revenue excel workbooks
- Respond to and resolve customer complaints
- Manage retail sales, orders, inventory and stock
- Keep abreast of retail trends and customer demands; make recommendations on future purchases, as well as store layout and design (location specific)
- Keep shelves and retail items organised, clean, and fully stocked
- Keep a clean & organized workspace at all times, including interior & exterior of campground booth
- Work closely with co-workers to ensure clear communication is achieved on shared duties/tasks
- Become familiar with all pertinent OH&S policies, procedures and protocols
Supervise seasonal Information Officers.
- Provide training, ongoing support and seasonal performance reviews with assistance from BIS
- Coordinate day-to-day tasks of team
- Assist the Business and Information Supervisor in developing shift schedules
- Review staff timesheets for accuracy and submit to supervisor
Perform administrative duties to ensure efficient and effective booth operation.
- Review and reconcile camping, shower, and retail sales revenue
- Receive and appropriately deal with public comments and complaints
- Communicate needs of clients to appropriate program areas (Visitor Services, Maintenance, Enforcement)
- Monitor and replace promotional and tourism materials in the campground booth such as brochures and pamphlets as needed, informing BIS of shortages
- Record and organize statistics for public visitation and demographics when required
- Manage invoices and track expenditures
Provide information services relating to Alberta Northern Rockies.
- Respond to in-person and telephone/email requests for information on recreational activities, facilities, public safety issues, tourism and travel opportunities, and provide area orientation
- Maintain and improve knowledge of relevant recreational and tourist opportunities and conditions (trails, lake conditions, etc) in order to assist the public with current information
- Be familiar with the natural history of the area in order to best answer inquiries about flora and fauna
- Contribute to Visitor Service Program year end reports consisting of visitation statistics, demographics, and comments/concerns from visitors
Provide education and public safety advice.
- Raise the awareness of best practices for dealing with potential hazards that may be encountered while recreating in the area and thereby prevent public safety incidents from occurring
- Advise the public of the various rules, policies and regulations that apply within a Provincial Park
- Provide information to the public with regard to natural and human history of the area and promote interpretive educational programming
- Assist Interpreters with program promotion and delivery as needed
- In the case of emergency be familiar with and follow correct procedure
- Provide basic first aid when required
- Liaise with other government staff, private contractors, and various information agencies to ensure a free flow of quality information
- A high school diploma at a minimum is required, though related post-secondary education preferred
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills and experience along with an ability to motivate a variety of staff in an intense and demanding environment
- Familiarity with William A. Switzer PP/Pierre Grey’s Lakes PP and the Alberta Northern Rockies recreational and tourist opportunities and facilities - both frontcountry and backcountry
- Knowledge of office procedures and equipment including familiarity with Microsoft Office (MS Outlook, Word, Excel), the Internet, and the ability to operate unique software such as that designed for the campground reservation system
- Experience in standard retail sales, training, procedures, and cash registers
- Strong communication skills when working with visitors & coworkers, and an ability to interact with the visitor/co-worker in a friendly, informative, diplomatic, adaptable, and professional manner
- Strong ability to multi-task and use effective time-management strategies
- Strong ability to work both independently as well as within a team environment
- Strong interpersonal skills including problem solving, mediation and teamwork.
- Strong customer service skills
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License
Term of Employment:
- Term anticipated to be early May and ending early September with possible extension
- Evening shift and weekend work required
Please submit your resume and include "AS3-HIN" and position location in the subject line and cover letter to:
Alberta Environment & Parks
Parks Division – Central Region
3rd Floor Government Centre, 131 Civic Centre Road T7V 2E6
or by E-mail to: email@example.com
For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will be held in Hinton on March 1 & 2, 2017. Successful candidates will be required to provide a Criminal Record Check and Driver's Abstract. Those selected for an interview must bring at least 3 work related references to the interview.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.