Specialist, Marketplaces and Events
- Sep 7, 2016
- Aug 26, 2016
- Travel Alberta
Travel Alberta is the tourism marketing agency of the Government of Alberta. A team of youthfully-spirited adventurers lead in marketing Alberta’s authentic experiences in breathtaking landscapes around the world. Our mission: to create economic value and prosperity with compelling invitations to explore Alberta.
Travel Alberta strives to empower individual passion and build inspirational leadership as ONE TEAM. If you want to be part of an award-winning organization with strong corporate values, passionate team members and a great culture, then Travel Alberta is the destination for you.
Travel Alberta is seeking a team-support specialist for the role of Specialist, Marketplaces and Events. The Specialist, Marketplaces and Events supports the Manager and other Travel Alberta departments in managing and executing marketplaces and events that contribute to Travel Alberta’s strategic and tactical marketing goals. This position plays a key role in communicating with industry partners and external clients.
Reporting to the Manager, Marketplaces and Events, the Specialist, Marketplaces and Events is responsible for the following:
Event & Marketplace Support
- Create and develop and maintain a master schedule of internal and external events for the Industry Events team.
- Meet with Business Units to determine the scope of their events and brainstorm, discuss, document event support and execute on deliverables assigned.
- Develop/create event scope and show flow documents for internal and external events.
- Develop/create and monitor event timelines, critical paths and work back schedules and provide ongoing status reports ensuring timelines are met.
- Support the Manager Marketplaces & Events with all aspects of the planning, and execution of internal and external events, industry marketplaces and tradeshows.
- Lead, create, develop and execute event specific special projects as required.
- Create PAS’s for approval and actively monitor events budgets.
- Research event venues, speakers and activation ideas.
- Support vendor relationships and proactively communicate timelines and actionable items.
- Research suppliers/agencies, coordinate quotes/request for proposals.
- Manage logistical needs for events including venues, audio visual requirements, food & beverage, registration and rooming lists.
- Develop and monitor event budgets while providing reports and regular, timely updates.
- Prepare, write and compile event evaluation data and reports for timely distribution and subsequent reporting.
- Track event evaluations, cross reference and evaluate similarities/differences and alignments for the knowledge gathering and to influence the betterment and alignment of future events.
- Onsite event support as required.
Communication & Maintain Effective Relationships
- Maintain day-to-day communication flow between departmental team members, Travel Alberta team members, vendors, contractors and industry partners.
- Provide support in communicating results of meetings & initiatives to the team
- Support the team in communicating to industry event timelines, actionable items and updates.
- Write, edit produce communication for industry channels as required.
- Represent Travel Alberta at industry events as required
- Assist in developing and implementing new event guidelines, policies, initiatives and projects that support and promote our Business and People strategies.
- Follow, utilize and actively support our Travel Alberta Style Guide.
- Proactively consult with business units on collateral specific support (purchasing, managing in-stock items etc.) on a quarterly basis.
- Ensure relevant stock and inventory is on brand and in alignment with purchasing guidelines.
- Proactively research items aligned to supporting the Travel Alberta brand and team member’s needs.
- Look for opportunities for volume purchasing and cost efficiencies.
- Create, analyze, and share regular inventory reports with usage analysis, budget allocation and turn-over stats.
- Source suppliers and agencies for proposals and contracts.
- Monitor inventory, shipping and purchasing costs to provide regular status updates for budgets.
Event Best Practices
- Understand Travel Alberta’s audience/stakeholders in order to effectively develop and implement best practices for event planning and execution.
- Guide and advise Travel Alberta in the development and application of event best practices.
- Assisting in the creation, tracking and reconciling Industry Events budgets while adhering to Finance processes and deadlines
- Provide support to Travel Alberta, other stakeholders, industry and in the absence of the Manager, Marketplaces & Events.
- Proven experience coordinating and organizing large-scale events and tradeshows
- Ability to work with and organize third-party vendors
- Strong leadership, problem solving, project management and analytical skills
- Written and verbal communication skills that are used for industry channels and to communicate with internal and external partners.
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong budget experience
- Ability to coordinate and manage reports
- Ability to work with senior management
- Strong computer skills in MS Office and web applications
- Knowledge is acquired through a diploma in Event Management, Marketing, Communications or related area and 3 years of event planning/coordination, marketing or communications experience.
You thrive working in a fast-paced environment with high volume workloads. Your dedication and passion has taken you to this point. Now, it is time to advance to a new level by stepping into Travel Alberta’s exciting working environment!
Some travel is required in this position
Due to the nature of special events, some evening and weekend work may be required in this position
This position is based in the Calgary office.
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Employment Status: Full time, Permanent
Salary: $66,240 - $86,064
This position offers an excellent benefits package with SunLife Financial, including extended health and dental coverage, life insurance, travel insurance, long term disability and a flexible spending account. This individual will also participate in a defined benefit plan with the Management Employee Pension Plan (MEPP), have free and confidential access to Shepell-fgi (employee assistance provider) and be a part of Travel Alberta’s learning and development program, which includes up to 100% reimbursement to further education.
In 2014, Travel Alberta was recognized for providing an exceptional place to work by being awarded Top 65 Employers in Alberta, Best Small and Medium Employers in Canada and one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures.
Closing Date: September 7, 2016
If you have the qualifications to succeed in this role, submit a cover letter, resume and your salary expectations, with the title in the subject line of your email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If applicable, please indicate the name of the Travel Alberta Team Member who referred you to this role.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Any personal information submitted will be managed with the strictest of confidentiality.