Assistant Station Manager, Jasper
- May 31, 2017
- Jan 11, 2017
- Rocky Mountaineer
At Rocky Mountaineer, we invite guests to the majestic Pacific Northwest and Rocky Mountains and take them on a world class journey. With the help of our dedicated team, we offer more than a renowned luxury product, we create life changing experiences. We are looking for positive people who bring a passion for excellence and commitment to teamwork to join us.
Rocky Mountaineer is proud to work with a strong team of talented individuals. We were recently named one of Deloitte’s Best Managed Companies and have won Employer of the Year by the Tourism Industry Association of Canada multiple times.
The Assistant Station Manager is responsible for providing direct leadership support to the Station Manager to ensure effective representation of the RM brand and exceptional guest experience through the management of station operations. The Assistant Station Manager learns all aspects of the Station Manager responsibilities to ensure continuity of operations in the absence of the Station Manager.
Specific duties and responsibilities can vary between stations depending upon business volume and additional programs/projects managed at each station as described at the end of this job description.
Please note this position is seasonal, full-time, March - October.
You will be responsible for…..
Station Operations Management: Works effectively with the Station Manager to ensure effective station operations to achieve exceptional guest satisfaction and representation of the RM brand through:
- Managing daily decision-making in conjunction with internal and external stakeholders (Train Managers, Railway Operations, hotels, motor coach companies, etc.) to ensure timely arrival/departures of train(s) and efficient detraining/boarding of guests;
- Coordinating transportation by identifying the appropriate number of motor coaches and/or taxis and managing logistics to ensure efficient and timely transfers of guests;
- Coordinating management of luggage transfers by ensuring luggage is tagged and loaded appropriately to arrive at the correct destination, coordinating pick up and loading of luggage and following up on misdirected luggage;
- Implementing standardized guest services policies, practices and procedures to ensure consistency of the RM brand;
- Assessing stakeholder concerns, providing and implementing suggestions for process changes to enhance overall guest experience in line with financial guidelines;
- Participating in risk assessments of proposed changes to operating procedures to determine potential impact on guest service, train management, staff, contractors, etc;
- Staying current with standards and best practices related to Destinations, making suggestions to improve quality and efficiency;
- Ensuring a safe working environment for staff, guests, public and contractors by utilizing and maintaining the accident investigation and first aid kits and rectifying unsafe practices and situations;
- Responding to questions and/or preparing manifests for Experience Tours (Banff) and hotel partners;
- Coordinating the preparation and timely delivery of pertinent departure and arrival information and all necessary luggage tags to our Tour Group operators
- Ensuring all staff understand and can carry out their roles and responsibilities with regard to the Destinations emergency response situations; and
- Representing RM at public functions to support the RM brand as required.
Build Relationships with Partners and Contractors: Works effectively with contractors and partners to the requirements of the RM brand are met through:
- Liaising to ensure the aesthetics of the station and platform are maintained in keeping with RM guest excellence standards;
- Developing and maintaining relationships in keeping with RM’s guest experience excellence standards;
- Addressing service level issues to ensure quick and effective resolution of issues;
- Ensuring all contractors and suppliers comply with comply with RM environment, health and safety requirements;
- Following up as required with local service providers (eg. hotels, restaurants, transportation companies) to implement recommendations for improvement; and
- Participating in regular cleaning audits of the train in accordance with RM’s Railcar Cleaning Quality Assurance Program, documenting deficiencies and monitor implementation of corrective actions.
Support Effective Work Teams: Supports high levels of employee and guest satisfaction through:
Training, coaching and mentoring staff to ensure operating and guest excellence standards are met;
- Participating in the orientation of new employees, using the Leader’s Guide, standard orientation package and providing station specific training;
- Ensuring staff effectively represent the RM brand, by adhering to the standards established in the Uniform and Appearance Policy;
- Participating in the implementation of training plans to ensure staff are cross trained to complete all station activities, demonstrating personal commitment to learn all aspects of the Station Manager position;
- Maintaining effective records of discussions with staff and training completion;
- Building a strong station team through effective motivation, recognition and coaching of employees to achieve work goals;
- Providing supervision and direction of the Onboard attendants assigned to station duties during arrivals and departures, monitoring performance of all assigned duties;
- Maintaining time and payroll records and responding to questions from staff concerning payroll, Human Resources and related employment inquiries.
- Acts as Station Manager in their absence.
- Other duties as assigned to ensure effective station management.
You will have……
In addition to the duties and responsibilities identified above, Assistant Station Managers have responsibility for the following local station programs/projects:
Experience Tours: Coordinate the transfer of guests between RM Experience Tours program and arrival/departure by train, to ensure exceptional guest satisfaction and representation of the RM brand through (yearly volume varies between destinations):
- Ensuring appropriate planning, staffing and coordination to meet the needs of guests arriving to and departing from Destinations via the Experience Tour program
- Coordinating the manifest to ensure effective management of guest and luggage transfers between the destination and Experience Tours;
- Working effectively with Experience Tour Partners to develop strong relationships which support the effective resolution of local issues.
- Resolving guest issues and situations quickly and effectively to ensure representation of the RM brand, escalating unresolved or ongoing issues to the Station Manager;
- Providing suggestions to the Station Manager and implementing identified solutions with Experience Tour partners to reduce future issues; and
- Identifying opportunities for improved service and guest experience.
Coordinate Motor Coach Requirements: Coordinates the motor coach marshaling to expedite the efficient transfer of guests through:
- Establishing effective platform motor coach position on day of arrival to transfer guests in an efficient manner, limiting the requirement for guest walking distance to motor coaches;
- Maintaining ongoing communication with multiple drivers to ensure proper positioning and transfer of all guests to and from the appropriate motor coach;
- Coordinating motor coach scheduling and planning
- Making real-time decisions to appropriately react to bus maintenance or other schedule interruptions to limit guest waiting time and ensure on-time departure of trains;
- Liaising with motor coach contractor to identify and implement solutions to improve efficiency of process while ensuring exceptional guest experience;
Maintaining understanding of and ensuring drivers are in compliance with city bylaws regarding bus idling, traffic flow and noise.
If this position suits your skills, experience and personal attributes, we want to talk to you!
Please apply by submitting your resume and a covering letter outlining why you are a suitable candidate. Please apply online at: https://www.rockymountaineer.com/careers.
Armstrong Group is committed to equal opportunity employment and invites applications from all qualified candidates. Please note that background checks are a part of our hiring process.
Jasper, Alberta, Canada