Events & Product Development Specialist
- Mar 16, 2017
- Feb 24, 2017
- Tourism Jasper
Why we’re here
Tourism Jasper is the Destination Marketing Organization for Jasper and Jasper National Park. We’re a young, energetic, forward thinking team, who are charged with developing and executing on creative solutions to help our Shareholders (select hotels, restaurants, and activities in Jasper) increase revenue through sustainable visitation of targeted consumers to our awesome little town.
Why you’re here:
Reporting to the Marketing Manager, the Events and Product Development Specialist will build destination-wide capacity to develop and deliver new and innovative tourism event and festival experiences for visitors. This position is responsible for coordinating project activities associated with the Jasper Events and Festivals Committee and initiatives related to tourism events and festivals. The position works towards the vision in which: Events in Jasper deliver authentic Canadian rocky mountain experiences and drive tourism visitation and spending in Jasper. The position achieves this vision by fostering, mentoring, coordinating and supporting multi-partner efforts to plan, promote and produce tourism events that drive visitation and spending in Jasper.
Your values = our values:
Inspire: You inspire because you’re so passionate about what you do. You live and breathe inspiration, whether it is inspiring a potential visitor to visit, a teammate to see how they contribute, or a Shareholder or partner to see your creative vision.
Respect: You promote respect in the organization through your dedication to making the digital world an easier one for us to navigate. You are highly respected by the team and our Shareholders because of your relentless pursuit of seamless online delivery.
Collaborate: You embody the spirit of collaboration through your belief that bringing offline and online together achieves success. You continuously collaborate with Shareholders and partners to create the most effective strategies for all parties involved.
Accountable: Accountability is ingrained in you. You love to measure everything you do and being results driven, you have no problem being held accountable for all the great work you do.
Integrity: You show your high level of integrity by being a trusted teammate and partner. Your collaborative nature makes it easy for you to embrace the concept of integrity by always striving to do the right thing, even when no-one is looking.
This is your role:
As the Events and Product Development Specialist, you will:
- Foster the public, non-profit and private partnerships required to plan, promote and produce tourism events in Jasper.
- Work closely with Parks Canada, The Jasper Park Chamber of Commerce, the Municipality of Jasper, the Jasper Hotel Association and Tourism Jasper Shareholders to align new tourism event product development initiatives.
- Leverage existing organizations, programs and resources for more effective and efficient development and marketing of tourism events.
- Solicit event partnerships and sponsorships.
- Mentor event committees in the planning and production of high quality tourism events and festivals that deliver authentic Canadian rocky mountain experiences and drive tourism revenues.
- Lead the development and sustainability of the Jasper Experiential Tourism Training program. The position will be highly involved in the development of high quality experiential tourism products.
- Liaise with the Tourism Jasper team to coordinate promotion and marketing efforts of anchor events.
- Develop innovative, results-based programs that will build capacity among tourism related businesses to deliver new and innovative experiences for visitors during planned events.
- Lead and/or coordinate tourism event product development workshops designed to increase the ability of partners to deliver enhanced experiences. Develop effective and interactive product development training tools and presentations.
- Assist in the development of tourism event plans (during identified need periods) that increase ROI for the business community, reach target markets and align with the Jasper brand.
- Monitor and report upon the success of Jasper Events and Festivals through identified performance measures.
- Monitor and report upon the Jasper Event Tourism Strategy and the Jasper Events and Festivals annual work plan.
- Provide administrative support to the Jasper Events and Festivals Strategy Committee (and other identified committees).
- Although event implementation is not the primary role of the position, there is an expectation that the position supports implementation of anchor events through direct (on the ground) supervision and execution of select events.
You’re armed with:
- Post-secondary degree in tourism, business, recreation, sport, economic development or related discipline.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience.
- Understanding of tourism, events and economic and community development.
- Understanding of business principles and practices, including planning, reporting, performance measures and budgets.
- Experience in planning, promoting and producing high quality events; and ability to bring this experience to organizations responsible for events in Jasper.
- Knowledge of the regulations, permits, policies and programs related to tourism and events.
- Experience in fostering and maintaining positive relationships with various partners.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to lead and manage complex projects involving multiple partners.
- Must be able to provide sound strategic direction and practical advice to public, non-profit and private partners based on sound decision making.
- Have strong facilitation and consulting skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to develop close working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent written communications skills for preparing reports and updates.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software, including Excel, and Word.
It would be extra awesome if you:
Have experience working in tourism
Your life at work:
You’re happy to work in a collaborative environment, where sometimes you have to jump in, regardless of the project
- You’re good to work 32 hours per week
- You’re able to help out after hours for special meetings or events
- You’re ok with some light physical work (mostly bending, reaching, carrying light items, walking and standing)
- You like to hit the road sometimes to meet up with like-minded people
Join our team:
Please forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Tourism Jasper would like to thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.