Sales Manager Sport (10 month contract)
- Mar 13, 2017
- Feb 27, 2017
- Tourism Calgary
Tourism Calgary is a research-based, market-driven and industry-led organization that has specialized in the marketing and promotion of Calgary and area as the destination of choice for leisure and business travel for more than 50 years. Leading Calgary’s tourism efforts domestically, nationally and internationally. Tourism Calgary works with major sporting and cultural events, tour operators and travel media. Tourism in Calgary annually contributes over $1.6 billion in visitor spending to the local community and employs 1 in 10 working Calgarians.
The Sales Manager, Sport reports to the Director of Sales and is charged with the primary responsibility of generating qualified leads and converting them to definite business through prospecting, targeting and facilitating host city agreements with event rights holders. The sales department wins bids for and attracts sport events that produce incremental economic and social benefits for tourism, sport and community. The Sales Manager, Sport will provide assistance on the development and coordination of working committees and leading proactive bid submissions. Building strong relationships with clients, colleagues, and event stakeholders will be instrumental to the success of this position.
- Generate qualified sport event leads and convert them to definite business. Achieving targets for the market segment in contracted events and hotel room nights
- Lead the development and execution of event bid programs through the coordination of working bid committees
- Provide operational and administrative assistance to the Calgary Sport Tourism Authority when requested, including research, report writing, board meeting assistance, and project management
- Provide writing support in the creation, editing and proofreading of materials for the department as needed
- Represent the department at annual sport tourism conferences, marketplaces and additional sales related travel as directed
- Build event capacity through working directly with local champions to develop bid programs. Requirements include bid document support, site inspections, sourcing of accommodation and facilities and the identification of funding opportunities
- Keep informed on national competition in terms of sales, business-to-business marketing, and trends of sport tourism
- Be an ambassador at Tourism Calgary, Calgary Sport Tourism Authority and other various client functions for the purpose of business development
- Collaboration within the department and the entire Tourism Calgary team to achieve the goals and objectives of the organization
- Provide support and guidance to the Sales Coordinator, Sport
- Post-Secondary education in Tourism, Business or equivalent
- Experience in the sport tourism or event industry will be considered an asset
- Excellent creative, strategic and problem-solving aptitude with the ability to work well independently or as a member of a team or group
- Strong time and project management expertise with an ability to prioritize, meet, and maintain deadlines
- Proficient in verbal and written communicating with an acute attention to detail
- Must be computer literate; strong knowledge of database management and Microsoft office
Reply in confidence with a cover letter and resume by March 13, 2017:
Please note: only those selected for an interview will be contacted.