Global Media Specialist
- Mar 5, 2017
- Feb 15, 2017
- Travel Alberta
Department: Media & Content – Global Consumer Marketing
Travel Alberta is the tourism marketing agency of the Government of Alberta. A team of youthfully spirited adventurers lead in marketing Alberta’s authentic experiences in breathtaking landscapes around the world. Our mission: to create economic value and prosperity with compelling invitations to explore Alberta. Travel Alberta strives to empower individual passion and build inspirational leadership as ONE TEAM. If you want to be part of an award-winning organization with strong corporate values, passionate team members and a great culture, Travel Alberta is the destination for you.
Reporting to the Director Global Media & Content, the following are the Global Media Specialist’s responsibilities:
- Implementation of comprehensive multi-channel travel media relations and influencer strategy promoting all regions of the province in assigned market(s). Strategy will be created in alignment with Travel Alberta's market strategies and includes action/tactical plan, implementation timeline, targeted media/influencer lists and measurable results ultimately generating positive earned travel media and social media coverage for the market.
- Responsible for the execution of targeted media and influencer visits to Alberta. This includes choosing or vetting the media, leading flight arrangements, assistance with visa applications and entry letters, film permits, hosting expectations, creation of itineraries, and as required ensuring media guides or team members are available to escort/assist media when in-province.
- Regular collaboration with consumer marketing team ensuring the creation and execution of content partnerships i.e. native advertising and collaboration with team for influencer content sharing.
- Day-to-day oversight and relations with in-market agencies and teams ensuring the agency is on-strategy and delivering the results outlined in the annual strategy.
- Specialist is responsible for timely response to media enquiries and dissemination of proactive storytelling to media and influencers.
- As required, execute in-market media hospitality, special events and/or deskside appointments with media and influencers such as participation at Media Marketplaces (i.e. Canada Media Marketplace, GoMedia as assigned). Further, this includes and may not be limited to: event logistics, development of key messages, contribution to presentations, reports and briefings for partners, ambassador/spokespeople bios/headshots.
- Monitor and identify current travel media relations trends and best practices. Including distribution of in-market intelligence obtained by in-market teams including travel trends, competitive activity in market and financial/political intelligence on (at least) a quarterly basis.
- Work with corporate communications team on issues management as required.
- Create content and proactive story ideas for distribution to media including posting to Travel Alberta's media website.
- Maintain familiarity with Alberta tourism industry’s key experiences and destinations.
- Collaborate with tourism industry partners and Travel Alberta team members providing guidance and support on best practices for media and influencer relations as required.
- Oversee monthly completion of monthly media monitoring report.
- Accountable for media budgets and expenses for all projects as required.
- Tremendous expertise in public relations, communications, influencer strategy and tactics.
- Solid knowledge of social media best practices and channels in relation to working with media and influencers.
- Strong interpersonal, networking and negotiation skills.
- Knowledge of Alberta tourism experiences, product and geography.
- Skill in writing for a variety of audiences including writing experiential tourism content as well as content for a business audience.
- Highly organized and ability to prioritize with competing deadlines and demands.
- Strong understanding of MS office applications.
Your degree in Public Relations, Media, Communications, Tourism, or Business is complemented with five (5) years relevant work experience in communications and/or relevant tourism industry marketing role.
This position is based in Calgary, Alberta.
Some travel is required.
Some overtime may be required.
Some evening and weekend work is required.
Valid driver’s license required.
Employment status: Maternity Leave Term (Approximately 12-13 months)
Salary: $72,840-$83,772 per annum
This position offers an excellent benefits package with SunLife Financial, including extended health and dental coverage, life insurance, travel insurance, long term disability and a flexible spending account. This individual will also participate in a defined benefit plan with the Management Employee Pension Plan (MEPP), have free and confidential access to Morneau-Shepell (employee assistance provider) and be a part of Travel Alberta’s learning and development program, which includes up to 100% reimbursement to further education.
Since becoming a Crown corporation in 2009, Travel Alberta has been recognized with more than 50 awards for brand and marketing and excellence.
Closing Date: March 5, 2017
If you have the qualifications to succeed in this role, submit a cover letter, resume and your salary expectations, with the title in the subject line of your email to email@example.com. If applicable, please indicate the name of the Travel Alberta Team Member who referred you to this role.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Any personal information submitted will be managed with the strictest of confidentiality.