Counsellor, In-Destination Roaming
- Apr 17, 2017
- Mar 9, 2017
- Tourism Calgary
Counsellor, In-Destination Roaming
Full-time summer position (May 8-August 27, shift work during week and weekends)
Tourism Calgary is a research-based, market-driven and industry-led organization that has specialized in the marketing and promotion of Calgary and area as the destination of choice for leisure and business travel for more than 50 years. Leading Calgary’s tourism efforts domestically, nationally and internationally. Tourism Calgary works with major sporting and cultural events, tour operators and travel media. Tourism in Calgary annually contributes over $1.7 billion in visitor spending to the local community and employs 1 in 10 working Calgarians.
Exciting opportunities are available this summer with Tourism Calgary’s In-Destination Roaming Team. Successful candidates will help with Tourism Calgary’s strategy in engaging locals and visitors at high-traffic areas in the downtown core, at major attractions, festivals and events. The goal is raise awareness of what there is to see and do in Calgary and area, while creating destination advocates. Ideal candidates will possess a passion for the tourism industry, a committed and professional nature, and have an excellent knowledge of the tourism products in Calgary and area to provide personalized recommendations. Tools will be provided for counselling and data collection.
- Provide exceptional customer service.
- Liaise with the Coordinator, In-Destination and Lead Counsellor, In-Destination Roaming.
- Approach and engage visitors and locals in a friendly and professional way, serving as an ambassador for Calgary.
- Inform visitors and locals about attractions, festivals & events, neighborhoods, adventure products, wayfinding, accommodations and other tourism related services within Calgary & area.
- Assist visitors and locals with booking tours, tickets, reservations, etc. when required
- Timely and accurate entry of data collection in Salesforce, tracking inventory, and detailed report writing when required.
- Provide visitor information through e-mail, telephone, and social media channels when required.
- Provide daily updates of location on Tourism Calgary’s social media platforms
- Liaise with nearby frontline personnel in hotels and neighborhoods on a daily basis creating awareness of services, schedule and location.
- Position will include bike riding with an attached mobile unit, and transportation in a rental vehicle to key sites in Calgary, as well as setting up pop-up materials.
- Lifting of brochure boxes and equipment up to 55lbs will be required.
- Ensure downtown brochure distribution points are organized, stocked and up-to-date.
- Preference will be given to candidates with some post-secondary education in tourism or hospitality and/or a related field, as well as the ability to speak multiple languages.
- Exceptional customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of tourism products in Calgary and surrounding area. General knowledge of Calgary as a city (wayfinding, services, etc.).
- Motivated to take initiative, work independently, and make sound decisions.
- Positive attitude, outgoing demeanor, commitment to position and a strong willingness to help others.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Internet using iPads, reporting tools and database experience.
- Due to the nature of the tourism industry, flexibility and weekend work required.
- Experience with Alberta’s tourism industry and tourism destinations are considered assets.
- Equivalencies will be considered.
Reply in confidence with a cover letter and resume by April 17, 2017.
Director, Human Resources
Please note: only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please provide three references.