Director, People and Performance – Full Time
- Jul 24, 2016
- Jul 13, 2016
- Travel Alberta
Travel Alberta is the tourism marketing agency of the Government of Alberta. A team of youthfully spirited adventurers lead in marketing Alberta’s authentic experiences in breathtaking landscapes around the world. Our mission: to create economic value and prosperity with compelling invitations to explore Alberta.
Travel Alberta strives to empower individual passion and build inspirational leadership as ONE TEAM. If you want to be part of an award-winning organization with strong corporate values, passionate team members and a great culture, Travel Alberta is the destination for you.
The Director, People and Performance leads and manages the People Strategy function including all Travel Alberta Team Member programs and initiatives. The primary focus of this position is to develop, implement and manage the People and Performance Strategy, associated programs, and best practices that support the team members at Travel Alberta.
Reporting to the Vice President, Finance and Corporate Administration, the Director, People and Performance is responsible for the following:
- Support Travel Alberta’s People Strategy to ensure all elements of a high performing team (strategy, culture, structure, people, work) best propels achievement of our business strategy.
- Lead by articulating the vision of Travel Alberta and developing short-term and long-term strategically aligned People and Performance initiatives that nurture organizational excellence.
- Audit existing People and Performance policies, practices, strategies, programs and initiatives to ensure strategic alignment.
- Manage the People and Performance team and provide strategic, operational and tactical direction to Travel Alberta in accordance with the business strategies.
- Reinforce initiatives that recognize and reward individual and team contributions that drive engagement and foster team collaboration.
- Provide proactive advice and guidance on labour relations; i.e., interpretation of the collective agreement and represent Travel Alberta as the employer in legal matters; i.e., collective bargaining, grievances, arbitration, etc.
- Identify and facilitate training as required for team members to continually develop and promote a results-oriented and accountable culture at Travel Alberta.
- Enhance and manage Travel Alberta’s job classification program as required to changing economic, environment and business needs; review annually to ensure alignment with business and people strategies.
- Develop and implement corporate learning and development initiatives that support and promote the business strategy and enhance Travel Alberta’s competitive advantages.
- Identify, evaluate and analyze Travel Alberta’s people needs and maintain a competency inventory to aid in succession planning.
- Architect workforce solutions and talent management solutions including analytics, team member development and decision support.
- Extensive experience leading, coaching and managing teams.
- Prior experience in a unionized environment and collective bargaining.
- Confidence, patience, empathy, diplomacy, tact and maturity are critical in fostering relationships and dealing with confidential and sensitive issues.
- Excellent judgment and the ability to make critical decisions.
- Maintains a high degree of freedom to manage own work, time and schedule. Modify work methods and adjust working hours to accommodate deadlines.
- Well organized and ability to work under pressure.
- Knowledge of recruitment, performance management, policy development, total compensation, benefits management, employee relations, succession planning, learning, and training and development.
- Knowledge of Alberta Employment Standards, FOIP and the Alberta Human Rights, Citizenship and Multiculturalism Act.
- Ability to identify the probable impact of current and pending federal, provincial or local legislation, regulations, and programs that may impact the organization's strategic plan.
Your degree in business with a focus in human resources or related area is complemented with 10 years of progressive relevant experience, leading and managing teams in a people and performance profession. CHRP designation required. Minimum five years’ experience working with executive leaders and board members. Experience working in a unionized environment and representing an employer at collective bargaining is critical. Your dedication and passion has taken your career to this point; now it is time to advance to a new level by stepping into Travel Alberta’s exciting working environment.
This position is based in Calgary, Alberta
Limited domestic travel is required
Employment status: Full Time
This position offers an excellent benefits package with SunLife Financial, including extended health and dental coverage, life insurance, travel insurance, long term disability and a flexible spending account. This individual will also participate in a defined benefit plan with the Management Employee Pension Plan (MEPP), have free and confidential access to Shepell-fgi (employee assistance provider) and be a part of Travel Alberta’s learning and development program, which includes up to 100% reimbursement to further education.
In 2014, Travel Alberta was recognized for providing an exceptional place to work by being awarded Top 65 Employers in Alberta, Best Small and Medium Employers in Canada and one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures.
Closing Date: July 24, 2016
If you have the qualifications to succeed in this role, submit a cover letter, resume and your salary expectations, with the title in the subject line of your email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If applicable, please indicate the name of the Travel Alberta Team Member who referred you to this role.We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Any personal information submitted will be managed with the strictest of confidentiality.