Chairperson, Destination Canada (Canadian Tourism Commission), Appointment Opportunity
- Dec 1, 2016
- Nov 21, 2016
- Government of Canada
We know that our country is stronger and our government more effective when decision-makers reflect Canada's diversity. Moving forward, the Government of Canada will use an appointment process that is transparent and merit-based, strives for gender parity, and ensures that Indigenous Canadians and minority groups are properly represented in positions of leadership. We will continue to search for Canadians who reflect the values that we all embrace: inclusion, honesty, fiscal prudence, and generosity of spirit. Together, we will build a government as diverse as Canada.
The overarching goal of the Minister of Small Business and Tourism is to help small businesses grow through trade and innovation, and to promote increased tourism to Canada.
The Government of Canada is currently seeking applications from diverse and talented Canadians from across the country who are interested in the following position:
Chairperson (part-time position)
Destination Canada (Canadian Tourism Commission)
Destination Canada is Canada’s national tourism marketing organization. It is responsible for marketing Canada as a premier four-season tourism destination where travelers can enjoy extraordinary experiences. Working in collaboration with the Canadian tourism industry and the provinces and the territories, Destination Canada serves as a consistent voice for Canada in the international tourism marketplace. As tourism is a key driver of Canada’s economy, Destination Canada has an important role to play in growing tourism export revenue for Canada, supporting the creation of jobs and increasing Canada’s global competitiveness within the travel and tourism sector.
Destination Canada is governed by a Board of Directors that is reflective of best practices in modern corporate governance. The Chairperson leads a Board of up to 12 members who oversee the management of Destination Canada, provide strategic guidance, and effective oversight. Under the direction of the Chairperson, the Board ensures that appropriate systems of governance, leadership and stewardship are in place to enable Destination Canada’s management to lead the organization effectively.
Further details about the organization and its activities can be found on the Destination Canada's website.
Candidates must apply online by December 1, 2016 via the Governor in Council website. Your cover letter should be addressed to the Assistant Secretary to the Cabinet (Senior Personnel), Privy Council Office, and should be sent only through the on-line application.
Per Diem: $310 - $375
Annual Retainer: $8,000 - $9,400
Official Languages and Diversity
The Government of Canada will consider bilingual proficiency and diversity in assessing candidates for this position. You are therefore encouraged to include in your online profile your ability to speak and understand your second official language. Preference may be given to candidates who are members of one or more of the following groups: women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minorities.
To be considered for this position, please provide examples from your career that clearly demonstrate how you meet the following requirements in your application:
Education and Experience
- A degree from a recognized university in a relevant field of study, or an acceptable combination of equivalent education, job-related training or experience;
- Experience serving as a member of a board of directors for a public or private sector organization, preferably as Chairperson, or as a senior executive answerable to stakeholders in the public or private sector;
- Experience in implementing modern corporate governance principles and best practices in a culture of accountability and transparency;
- Experience in managing human and financial resources;
- Experience dealing with different levels of government, preferably with senior officials;
- Experience working in the Canadian tourism sector would be considered an asset; and
- Experience as an entrepreneur or small and medium business owner would be considered an asset.
If you are selected for an interview, the following criteria will be assessed:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the Canadian and international tourism sectors;
- Knowledge of marketing practices and trends;
- Knowledge of the Government of Canada’s priorities related to the tourism sector;
- Knowledge of the roles and responsibilities of the Chairperson, the Board, and the Chief Executive Officer;
- Knowledge of strategic corporate planning, monitoring, reporting, and evaluation of corporate performance;
- Ability to anticipate emerging issues and lead organizational change;
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with other Board members, senior executives, representatives of the shareholder and stakeholders;
- Ability to effectively foster debate and discussions among Board members, facilitate consensus and manage conflicts, should they arise; and
- Superior communication skills, both written and oral.
Proficiency in both official languages would be preferred.
If you move on to the next stage of the selection process, we will contact your references to verify how you have demonstrated the Experience requirements and the following Personal Attributes in your current and recently held positions:
- Sound judgment
- High ethical standards and integrity
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Tact and diplomacy
- Strategic thinker
Eligibility Factors and Conditions of Employment
In your application, it will be important that you confirm you meet the following requirements:
- The successful candidate must be available for approximately 25 to 30 days per year for Board and committee activities and related travel.
- You must be willing to travel across Canada, as required.
If you are appointed to this position:
You must comply with the Ethical and Political Activity Guidelines for Public Office Holders throughout your appointment as a term and condition of employment. The guidelines are available on the Governor in Council Appointments Web site, under Forms and Reference Material.
You will be subject to the Conflict of Interest Act. For more information, please visit the Office of the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner's Website.
A link to this notice will be placed in the Canada Gazette to assist the Governor in Council in identifying qualified candidates for this position. It is not, however, intended to be the sole means of recruitment.
A roster of qualified candidates may be established and may be used for similar opportunities.