Vice-President, Finance & Corporate Administration
- Oct 30, 2015
- Sep 14, 2015
- Travel Alberta
Travel Alberta is the tourism marketing agency of the Government of Alberta. A team of youthfully-spirited adventurers lead in marketing Alberta’s authentic experiences in breathtaking landscapes around the world. Our mission: to create economic value and prosperity with compelling invitations to explore Alberta.
Travel Alberta strives to empower individual passion and build inspirational leadership as ONE TEAM. If you want to be part of an award-winning organization with strong corporate values, passionate team members and a great culture, then Travel Alberta is the destination for you.
Reporting to the President and Chief Executive Officer, the Vice President, Finance & Corporate Administration, as a member of the executive team, will be responsible for the overall financial integrity of the organization. This individual will be accountable for performance and results of all activities in the finance, human resources and information technology units.
The Vice President provides inspirational leadership and direction in the areas of operational excellence, strategic planning, stakeholder relations, governance, management planning, financial and management reporting, performance measurement, enterprise risk, legal and contracting, human resources, IT, FOIP programs, and policies and practices for Travel Alberta.
Strategy & Vision
- Act in collaboration with senior leadership team to ensure business objectives and internal teams work together to achieve organizational goals. Work closely with senior leadership team to develop and implement business strategies that strategically align with finance and administration, HR and IT initiatives.
- Ensure that business units are able to respond to rapidly changing circumstances by providing timely, relevant, thorough and research-based briefings on strategic and policy issues affecting their activities.
- Promote an engaged culture based on Travel Alberta’s values and principles.
Finance, Operations & Legal
- Lead the financial management and reporting for Travel Alberta.
- Ensure compliance with applicable legislation and government best practices; i.e., Travel Alberta Act, Financial Administration Act, FOIP Act, Treasury Board Directives, Alberta Employment Standards, the collective agreement, Alberta Human Rights and other legislation.
- Represent Travel Alberta as the Employer in legal matters; i.e., collective bargaining, grievances, arbitration, etc.
- Develop and maintain finance policies, practices, internal controls and information management to ensure compliance with regulations and risk mitigation.
- Lead Travel Alberta’s enterprise risk management assessment and is accountable for overall risk management areas of responsibility.
- Monitor internal controls and policies in accordance with the objectives set by the CEO, board of directors and the GOA.
- Oversee the budgeting planning and alignment with strategic planning in collaboration with senior leadership team.
- Oversee all of the company’s legal activities (e.g., writing and negotiating agreements regarding employees, contracts, litigations, confidential disclosures, etc.)
- Oversee and monitor the internal control procedures and policies implemented by Travel Alberta’s board of directors, audit committee and management in order to provide reasonable assurance of achieving objectives related to reliable financial reporting, operating efficiency, and compliance with laws and regulations.
Leadership & Team Management
- Manage, coach and provide inspiring leadership and support to the finance and administration, HR and IT teams by clarifying expectations, recognizing performance, developing team member competencies and supporting developmental opportunities.
- Lead the development of human resource strategies to align the workforce with the strategic goals and vision of the organization.
- Lead strategic alignment of IT with business needs, while delivering secure and reliable access.
- Lead the development of IT strategies to align with the strategic goals and the vision of the organization.
- Build and maintain effective business relationships with Travel Alberta’s senior leadership team, board of directors, board committees and team members.
- Maintain open and frequent communication with the board of directors and the board committees by presenting status reports, quarterly updates and addressing changes in strategy.
- Develop and maintain a strong relationship with key stakeholders, particularly those within the Government of Alberta, but also with the key financial contacts with other stakeholders; e.g., industry partners, destination marketing organizations, provincial marketing organizations.
- Lead Travel Alberta’s banking relationships for maximum efficiency while developing and maintaining valuable relationships with banking institution.
- Degree in business administration or commerce, or related field. Graduate degree would be an asset.
- Accounting designation is preferred.
- CHRP designation or HR background would be an asset.
- 7-10 years’ experience in a senior leadership financial or strategic position.
- Experience in high performance environments with demonstrated success levels of responsibility and accountability. This could include private and/or public sector.
This position is based in the Calgary office. Some domestic and international travel is required. Employment Status: Permanent Full Time
This position offers an excellent benefits package with SunLife Financial, including extended health and dental coverage, life insurance, travel insurance, long term disability and a flexible spending account. This individual will also participate in a defined benefit plan with the Management Employees Pension Plan and Surplus Pension Plan (MEPP/SRP), have free and confidential access to Shepell-fgi (employee assistance provider) and be a part of Travel Alberta’s learning and development program which includes up to 100% reimbursement to further education.
Last year, Travel Alberta was recognized for providing an exceptional place to work by being awarded Top 65 Employers in Alberta, Best Small and Medium Employers in Canada and one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures.
Open until suitable candidate found
Please note that Travel Alberta is working with HAYS, a recruitment agency, to fill this position.
If you have the qualifications to succeed in this role, submit a cover letter and resume with the title in the subject line of your email to the contacts below.
Antony McElwee – Antony.McElwee@hays.com
Sean Nethercott – Sean.Nethercott@hays.com
HAYS main office number: 403.269.4297
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by HAYS. Any personal information submitted will be managed with the strictest of confidentiality.