- Jan 5, 2017
- Dec 15, 2016
- Tourism Calgary
Tourism Calgary is a research-based, market-driven and industry-led organization that has specialized in the marketing and promotion of Calgary and area as the destination of choice for travel. Leading Calgary’s tourism efforts domestically, nationally and internationally, Tourism Calgary works with major sporting and cultural events, tour operators and travel media. Tourism in Calgary contributes over $1.7 billion in visitor spending by over 8 million visitors annually.
Reporting to the Director of Stakeholder Engagement & Destination Development, the Communications Specialist will contribute to Tourism Calgary’s vision, goals and purpose through the execution of corporate communications and stakeholder engagement strategies. The Communications Specialist will work closely with all Tourism Calgary teams and industry stakeholders to ensure coordination and alignment of strategies, messages and programs, particularly related to Calgary’s new collaborative destination strategy.
This is a new, hands-on position that will appeal to a generalist who is a strong writer, highly organized, strategically focused, creative, able to work well with a variety of audiences and enjoys variety and a fast-paced environment.
- Collaborate with organizational colleagues to develop content targeted to specific stakeholders including: members and partners, event rights-holders, travel trade, visitors and Calgarians.
- Understand Tourism Calgary’s audiences / stakeholders in order to effectively develop and deliver appropriate, credible and relevant content.
- Understand Tourism Calgary’s mission, vision, strategic direction and objectives in order to support and align tactics and outcomes.
- Support media relations activities, both proactive and reactive.
- Support and maintain a corporate communications strategic plan and editorial calendar.
- Support internal communication strategies and initiatives.
- Support and promote the corporate brand, upholding the credibility and accountability of the organization.
- Coordinate information requests with and from various industry groups.
- Liaise with community organizations and associations to stay current on industry news.
- Develop and maintain a corporate stakeholder relations map to track engagement activities.
- Support industry participation in Tourism Calgary programs, events, services and strategies.
- Ensure industry section of website is up-to-date with relevant and timely content.
- Support the development and production of corporate communications projects and publications including e-newsletters, strategy documents, presentations, speeches and reports.
- Research, analyze and report relevant communication, business and industry information to support strategic decision making.
- Monitor and report on corporate communications and stakeholder relations activities, objectives and accomplishments.
- A degree in communications, public relations or related field with a minimum of three years of experience.
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with a variety of stakeholders and colleagues.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills with the ability to produce written materials for a variety of platforms, including: reports, ads, media releases, newsletters, web, editorial and presentations.
- Technically proficient and comfortable with using or learning a variety of applications, including CRM databases.
- Experience in proactive media relations.
- Must be innovative and adaptable.
- Participation in IABC or CPRS is an asset.
- Experience working in tourism, government, or marketing / sales organizations is an asset.
- Knowledge of and passion for Calgary is critical.
Reply in confidence by Jan. 5, 2017 with a cover letter and resume to:
Please note: only those selected for an interview will be contacted.