Manager, Travel Trade (1 year contract)
- May 27, 2016
- May 17, 2016
- Tourism Calgary
Tourism Calgary is Calgary’s Destination Marketing Organization. Representing the visitor industry in Calgary, the City of Calgary, more than 600 partner companies and its key partner – The Calgary Hotel Association and DMF Hotels. Tourism Calgary takes Calgary to the world and with its partners brings the world to Calgary for meetings and conventions, leisure travel, and sport, culture and major events. Tourism in Calgary annually contributes over $1.4 billion in economic impact to local economy.
Reporting to the Vice President, Travel Trade, Market and Product Development, the Manager, Travel Trade is responsible for the implementation and execution of brand-integrated tactical strategies and specific marketing tactics and programs; and supports the development of strategy, tactical strategy and tactics working under the leadership with the Vice President; that supports and influence the marketing of Calgary as a tourism destination through key travel trade channels. This is a key position in the travel trade as it fosters relationship and aligns partnerships between Tourism Calgary, travel trade operators, agents and brokers, and Tourism Calgary’s partnering industry. This role requires the provision of leadership with the partnering industry, and the development of programs and online resources that educate, influence and support the travel trade in the promotion of Calgary experiences.
Calgary is a well-known gateway or hub to the Rockies, but often sees only one-day or drive-through results. This role will be integral in growing perceptions of Calgary and causing extended stays.
- Influence and shape product development interests to expand Calgary’s offering to the Travel Trade sector.
- Initiate and nurture relations with Tourism Calgary’s key partner, and in particular the DMF and key attractions.
- Execute sales programs, as directed and with key partners, to facilitate the sale of additional tour packages to Calgary, increasing overnight stays, and the use of partner assets; by groups and Foreign Independent Travelers.
- Prime responsibility for the execution (planning and delivery) of individual or group FAM and site visits upon direction from the Vice President, facilitating Travel Alberta request and advising the Vice President whenever the attendance of the Vice President or the CEO would significantly advance the objective of the division and the specific visit.
- Identify and then manage a detailed key account and client database using the database system determined by Tourism Calgary for this purpose.
To accomplish these responsibilities, the Manage will
- Attend and target events, marketplaces, trade shows and sales missions that warrant the attendance of the Tourism Calgary and its partners, as approved by the Vice-President determining alignment with approved strategy and the judicious use of available resources.
- Attend to the tactical needs of Joint Marketing Agreements also focusing on content, brand and digital footprint.
- Utilize the tracking and lead distribution system identified by Tourism Calgary.
- Provide information as required for Corporate Communication needs.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of current and future marketing trends by exploring relevant industry research, literature and statistics.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of the needs of the clients and the current product offerings of the local visitor industry, specifically working with Tourism Calgary Manager, Research and Travel Alberta as primary sources.
- Research, analyse and build strong relationships in assigned target markets and product areas to develop sales leads for initiative partners, building the primary work of Travel Alberta and Destination Canada in this area.
- Manage a detailed key account and client database, including revenue management leaders influencing travel trade decisions, using the database system determined by Tourism Calgary for this purpose.
- Double check all information and insure accuracy in all dealings with partners, tour operators, agents, brokers and public. Accuracy is critical to the success in the Travel Trade sector.
- Align the execution of programs, if possible, with the work of Travel Alberta and Destination Canada.
- Knowledge of international trade and tourism’s primary distribution channels.
- University degree in Tourism, Hotel & Resort Management, Business, or equivalent combination of experience and relevant education or designations.
- Sales, marketing and customer service experience mandatory.
- Ability to establishing B2B relationships to leverage third party trade channels.
- Ability to travel internationally for periods of two weeks or more, to attend key marketplaces aligned to Calgary’s Travel Trade efforts. Shorter travel obligations will also exist.
- Strong working knowledge of Calgary and its tourism products an asset.
- Acute attention to detail and excellent analytical problem solving aptitude.
- Self-motivated and the ability to work independently.
- Strong project and time management with an aim to meet and maintain deadlines.
- Articulate and well-spoken with strong oral communication skills.
- Must be computer literate; strong knowledge of database management, word processing and spread sheet applications and experienced Internet user.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective business partnerships.
- Highly developed leadership, decision-making, presentation, analytical and negotiation and closing skills.
- Strong creative writing, editing and proofing skills.
- Solid track record of managing multiple projects and delivering on time and on budget while maintaining effective stakeholder and team member relationships.
Reply in confidence with a cover letter and resume by Friday May 27th, 2016 to:
Director, Human Resources
Please note: only those selected for an interview will be contacted.