Counsellor, In-Market Roaming
- May 27, 2016
- May 17, 2016
- Tourism Calgary
Tourism Calgary is a research-based, market-driven and industry-led organization that has specialized in the marketing and promotion of Calgary and area as the destination of choice for leisure and business travel for more than 50 years. Leading Calgary’s tourism efforts domestically, nationally and internationally. Tourism Calgary works with major sporting and cultural events, tour operators and travel media. Tourism in Calgary annually contributes over $1.7 billion in visitor spending to the local community and employs 1 in 10 working Calgarians.
Exciting opportunities are available this summer as Tourism Calgary launches a new in-market strategy for visitors and locals. Successful candidates will help pilot a new concept of engaging locals and visitors at high-traffic areas in the downtown core, at major attractions, festivals and events. The goal will be to raise awareness of what there is to see and do in Calgary and area, while creating destination advocates. Ideal candidates will possess a passion for the tourism industry, a committed and professional nature, and have an excellent knowledge of the tourism products in Calgary and area to provide personalized recommendations. Tools will be provided for counselling and data collection.
- Provide exceptional customer service
- Liaise with the Director, Visitor Service & Event Hosting, and Coordinator, In-Destination Services
- Approach and engage visitors and locals in a friendly and professional way, serving as an ambassador for Calgary
- Inform visitors and locals about attractions, festivals & events, neighbourhoods, adventure products, wayfinding, accommodations and other tourism related services within Calgary & area
- Timely and accurate entry of data collection, tracking inventory, and detailed report writing when required
- Provide visitor information through e-mail, telephone, and for organizations social media channels when required
- Position will include bike riding with an attached mobile unit, and transportation in a rental vehicle to key sites in Calgary
- Lifting of brochure boxes will be required
- Ensure downtown brochure distribution points are organized, stocked and up-to-date.
- Attend office training sessions when required
- Preference will be given to candidates with some post-secondary education in tourism or hospitality and/or a related field, as well as the ability to speak multiple languages
- Exceptional customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of tourism products in Calgary and surrounding area. General knowledge of Calgary as a city (wayfinding, services, etc.)
- Motivated to take initiative, work independently, and make sound decisions
- Positive attitude, outgoing demeanor, commitment to position and a strong willingness to help others
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Internet using iPads, reporting tools and database experience
- Due to the nature of the tourism industry, flexibility and weekend work required
- Experience with Alberta’s tourism industry and tourism destinations are considered assets.
- Equivalencies will be considered.
Reply in confidence with a cover letter and resume by Friday, May 27th to:
Director, Human Resources
Please note: only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please provide three references.