Tourism and Events Coordinator
- Mar 18, 2016
- Mar 1, 2016
- City of Wetaskiwin
Full Time Permanent
Comp. No. 04-ADM-TEC-16
Reporting to the City Manager, the Tourism/Events Coordinator is responsible for the promotion and development of all tourism and events functions and to oversee all of the City of Wetaskiwin’s attractions, events and tourism initiatives. This position will manage the Visitors Information Center operations, staff and volunteers.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced, self-directed, results-oriented, professional that enjoys working within a team, can manage multiple priorities, and can achieve targets with measurable results.
The ideal candidate for this position will provide outstanding levels of customer service and can translate the economic impacts of community events, and has the proven ability to engage local businesses and community stakeholders to develop creative and imaginative marketing materials, and the ability to promote awareness of local business and attractions in the City of Wetaskiwin.
- Responsible for managing the Visitor Information Center, staff and volunteers and works with community groups, business organizations and coordinates a variety of events.
- Able to identify opportunities that will increase economic benefits arising from new and existing events.
- Proven experience in sourcing funding opportunities such as sponsorships, grants and corporate donations.
- Experienced in evaluating a variety of events and making recommendations for improvement and related marketing for subsequent events.
- Provides direction, coordination and recognition to volunteer groups involved with events.
- Ensure appropriate communications and other marketing materials for community events and attractions are developed and implemented
- Coordinates with Marketing and Communications departments to prepare and maintain annual event calendars and related publications.
- Work with local business contacts to assist businesses in deriving increased economic benefits from new and existing events as well as raising awareness.
- Develops an annual Wetaskiwin Tourism Guide and coordinates tourism campaigns and events with other departments.
- Establish effective working relationships with community and businesses stakeholders, non-profit and government organizations.
- Attends conferences and works with Travel Alberta and tourism operators to advance funding and partnership opportunities.
- Experienced in developing events and tourism packages that promote local businesses.
- Coordinates and/or assists with the development of marketing plans and related materials for events, packages and attractions.
- Coordinate and oversee the production and distribution of marketing collateral and oversee the selection and distribution of City souvenir items.
- Coordinates materials and information for print and for the City website.
- Represent the City in attending regional and local trade shows and other events as requested and required.
Qualifications and Education
- A post-secondary diploma in business, tourism or marketing, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience in tourism, marketing, promotions or business development.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in volunteer management is preferred.
- Municipal experience would be an asset.
- Well-developed interpersonal, communications and negotiation skills are required.
- Experienced in writing and presentation skills and proficiency with computer applications including MS Office.
- Ability to be diplomatic and ability to use tact in communicating with the public, business and community stakeholders
- Excellent organization and creative thinking skills and able to facilitate meetings.
- Ability to work independently on several projects concurrently and ability to solve problems.
- Apply all City policies and health and safety.
- A strong work ethic and personal integrity, ability to work well with others and being comfortable in a diverse and respectful environment.
The City of Wetaskiwin offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including dental, medical and Pension program.
Interested individuals are asked to submit a resume no later than March 18, 2016 and addressed to:
City of Wetaskiwin
PO Box 6210