Assistant Sport Events 1 Year Contract
- Jun 8, 2015
- May 29, 2015
- Tourism Calgary
Tourism Calgary is a research-based, market-driven and industry-led organization that has specialized in the marketing and promotion of Calgary and area as the destination of choice for leisure and business travel for more than 50 years. Leading Calgary’s tourism efforts domestically, nationally and internationally. Tourism Calgary works with major sporting and cultural events, tour operators and travel media. Tourism in Calgary annually contributes over $1.6 billion in visitor spending to the local community and employs 1 in 10 working Calgarians.
Reporting to the, Vice President, Sales, Sport & Major Events the Assistant, Sport & Major Events is charged with the primary responsibility of general coordination and assistance to the department. The department’s focus includes:
- management of the Calgary Sport Tourism Authority
- execution of special ancillary events and strategic initiatives
- lead major event bid programs and some major event hosting initiatives
- generating qualified leads and converting them to definite business by identifying, developing, targeting and securing sport, culture and major events with a broad range of sport, civic and tourism related benefits to the city of Calgary and area.
In this support role within Tourism Calgary, a high level of professionalism and collaboration will be instrumental to the success of this position.
General Administration Support:
- Screen and delegate phone calls for the Sales, Sport & Major Events Department, answer questions regarding facilities and accommodations in Calgary and area, and provide thorough descriptions of all available services from Tourism Calgary.
- Maintain and update department filing system and department calendar.
- Complete and submit expense reports on time and in accordance with accounting department policy and procedure.
- Typing of correspondence, reports, profiles, invitations, etc.
- Manage and execute weekly department and sales meetings.
- Participate and represent the department at all planned Tourism Calgary functions.
- Assist Sales Managers with shipping of all materials prior to sales missions and tradeshows.
- Manage department calendar and special events activities.
Calgary Sport Tourism Authority / Major Event Bid Committees:
- Assist in preparation of all Calgary Sport Tourism Authority (CSTA) meetings and other event bid committee meetings including coordinating set up, catering requirements and material preparation.
- Assist in preparation (printing and delivery) of research reports.Transcribe and distribute agendas and minutes for bid committee meetings.Maintain an accurate record
- of documents relating to all special meetings and other event bid committee meetings.
- Maintain all CSTA / VIP contact lists.Provide additional administrative support related to the CSTA and other event bid committees as needed.
- On some occasions, as needed, and directed by the VP, provide support for Event Bids (Regional/Non-Major) – Once a sport event lead has been secured by the Director or Sales Manager:
- Develop a summary chart of all hotel and meeting facilities from proposals.
- Receive all proposals and send sales lead reminder 2 days prior to deadline.
- Courier completed bid package to client in a timely fashion.
- On some occasions, as needed, and directed by the VP, provide support for Site Visits and Familiarization Tours:
- Contact all appropriate persons at all requested site stops.
- Develop and coordinate site schedule to best suit client’s wants and needs.
- Create and send out Familiarization Tour invitation and maintain RSVP list.
- Obtain contra products and services (Restaurants / meals, transportation, room drop gifts, off site activities, accommodation and other promotional items).
- University degree or diploma in Tourism or Business
- 1-2 years relevant work experience
- Excellent written and administrative skills
- Able to meet deadlines, and careful attention to detail
- Superior organizational and time management skills
- Proven ability to work with confidential information and maintain absolute discretion
- Superior working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications;Knowledge of the tourism and hospitality industry is preferable
- Strong research skills and experience is an asset
Reply in confidence with a cover letter and resume by Monday June 8th, 2015:
Please note: only those selected for an interview will be contacted.