Food and Beverage Operations Manager
- Mar 22, 2016
- Mar 8, 2016
- Calgary Stampede
Why the Stampede?
For over 100 years the Calgary Stampede has been the heart and soul of our city. It is both where and how we come together to celebrate our unique brand of western hospitality and community spirit. As we embark on the next chapter of our story, we will deliver exceptional experiences that entertain, educate and engage visitors. We will build inspired spaces to bring our community together to celebrate, and we will further energize the brand that has come to define our city. Our vision is to create a world-class, year-round gathering place for the community.
This position will provide key Food and Beverage leadership and operational support to both our year-round and 10 Day Stampede operations. Reporting to the Catering and Events Manager, this position will balance a diverse portfolio of responsibilities across all four primary F&B teams - Catering and Events; Premium Seating and Restaurants; Beverage, Assets and Logistics; and Culinary.
Responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
Champion key initiatives including leading multi-disciplinary project teams across the F&B department.
Projects will be assigned as required, with the initial scope of projects to include:
- Provide critical leadership and support to effectively merge both our Catering and our Concessions year-round service teams into one unified and efficient event team
- Organize and pilot the newly created Safety Assurance team, ensuring compliance and building a safety-focused culture
- Assemble and lead an F&B cross-departmental team to champion initiatives to further develop and support our Customer Experience program
Catering & Events:
As part of Calgary’s largest venue space, provide support to our Catering & Events leadership team including food and beverage service for galas, weddings, trade and consumer shows, concerts and meetings.
- Accountable to champion customer service related training, further improve existing service standards, creation of training programs, and providing support as needed with the implementation and delivery of training
- Provide key financial management support to the Catering & Events Manager (assisting with annual budgets, forecasts, monthly variance analysis, and expense tracking)
- Support the Catering Operations Manager in the leadership, service and execution of events as needed, including being accountable for specifically assigned events as required
Premium Seating & Restaurants (“PSR”):
The PSR team oversees a unique collection of eight venues including exclusive private clubs, restaurants and lounges during the 10 days of Calgary Stampede. This position will:
- Play a vital role in assuring operational excellence, capable of assuming direct leadership of any PSR venue when necessary
- Help train and mentor new managers, particularly those with the potential to assume a venue leadership role
- Support the Premium Seating & Restaurants Manager as needed with new initiatives to continue to elevate the guest experience
- Be accountable for budgeted labour expenses and ensuring efficient service levels
Lead the beverage program across all venues, specifically:
- Oversee menu development
- Manage relations with external stakeholders, key suppliers, wine reps and beverage related sponsors
- Act as the key liaison with AGLC to manage all compliance requirements
- Collaborate with the Assets & Logistics team to ensure efficient management of physical beverage inventory
The ideal candidate will be proactive, optimistic and have the ability to multitask. He / she will have as a minimum a Hospitality Management Diploma, ideally a degree in hospitality / management, as well as the following:
- Minimum of 10 plus years of food and beverage experience
- Minimum of 10 years proven leadership experience; with a career aspiration to pursue a higher management opportunity
- Diverse F&B experience, ideally with a varied professional background that includes hotel, catering and restaurant operations
- Must have experience working in high-end food and beverage environments
- Must have successfully managed a high volume, guest focused food and beverage operation
- Proven ability to work independently and lead teams to successfully complete projects
- Strong planning and analytical skills
- ProServe certification, Alberta Food Safety Certification
- Completed wine / beverage course
Proven ability to:
- Lead and inspire others
- Successfully and independently lead and manage projects
- Effectively analyze situations and problem solve
- Share information through strong written and oral presentation skills
- Establish positive relations by fostering commitment, teamwork and collaboration
- Champion world class guest service
The Calgary Stampede offers a unique and exciting work environment, an excellent total compensation package and the opportunity for advancement and employee training.
Please click on the “Apply Online” button below to submit your resume. All applicants are thanked in advance and advised that only those selected for interviews will be contacted.