Director, Communications - Tourism Calgary
- Apr 30, 2014
- Apr 22, 2014
- Tourism Calgary
Tourism Calgary is a research based, market driven and industry-led organization that has specialized in the marketing and promotion of Calgary and area as the destination of choice for leisure and business travel for more than 50 years. Leading Calgary’s tourism efforts domestically, nationally and internationally, Tourism Calgary works with local tourism businesses, major sporting and cultural events, tour operators, meeting planners and travel media. Annually tourism contributes $1.6 billion in visitor spending to the local community and employs 1 in 10 working Calgarians. Please visit our website at visitcalgary.com or follow @tourismcalgary.
Reporting to the President & CEO, the Director, Communications will contribute to Tourism Calgary’s vision, goals and mandate through the development and execution of corporate communications strategy. A key member of the senior executive team, the Director will work closely with the marketing, sales and industry relations teams to ensure coordination and alignment of strategies, messages and programs. This is a hands-on position that will appeal to a generalist who can execute as well as develop strategy, has a creative and entrepreneurial flair, a service focus, and enjoys variety and a fast-paced environment.
• Direct and manage all aspects of corporate communications.
• Steward the corporate brand.
• Develop and oversee department budget.
Strategic Planning & Corporate
• Drive the development of Tourism Calgary’s rolling three-year strategic plan; develop and execute a corporate communications plan to support the strategic plan.
• Develop programs and key messages that will proactively and positively promote the organization and the tourism industry to key stakeholders.
• Develop and maintain relationships with industry partners.
• Research and stay current on emerging trends, industry news, and best practices with a goal of developing and executing leading-edge communications that deliver value to a variety of stakeholders.
• Develop and/or oversee content for a variety of channels and stakeholders, including formal reports, articles, newsletters, industry web site, presentations, etc.
• Develop mechanisms for measuring and evaluating corporate communication program success.
• Responsible for corporate reporting including, quarterly and annual reports and providing annual reporting and strategic plans to The City of Calgary.
Media Relations/Issue Management |
• Develop and implement local media relations strategies to advance the organization’s strategic agenda and communicate the value of tourism to the local community.
• Manage the media relations program including: developing media relations policies, developing and distributing media releases; tracking / analyzing coverage; developing relationships and opportunities with targeted media; preparing spokespeople.
• Coordinate and host media at Tourism Calgary events.
• Support senior leadership and Board of Directors by proactively and reactively identifying emerging Tourism Calgary and tourism industry issues, developing key messages and strategies to involve stakeholders for issue resolution.
• Support senior leadership and Board of Directors in advocacy for the organization and for the destination.
• Develop peer relationships with industry and funding partners, including but not limited to Travel Alberta, the Canadian Tourism Commission, The City of Calgary and the Calgary Hotel Association.
• Coordinate information requests with various industry groups, including government.
• Liaise with community organizations and associations to keep current on industry news
• Participate on committees (both internal and external) as required.
• Prepare and/or deliver presentations to the community.
• Seven to 10 years progressive communications, public relations, and related management experience.
• Strategic thinking and planning abilities, ability to lead with passion, show initiative, demonstrate good judgment, and work independently or as part of a team.
• Exceptional interpersonal, written, oral and presentation skills. Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills, with the ability to produce written materials for a variety of platforms, including: reports, releases, newsletters, web, editorial, presentations etc.
• Proven record and demonstrated results in achieving corporate communications goals.
• Strong background in proactive media relations.
• University degree in communications, public relations, or a related field is required or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Accreditation and/or membership in IABC or CPRS is required.
• Experience working in tourism, government or marketing/sales organizations is an asset.
• Knowledge of the Calgary community is an asset.
Reply in confidence with a cover letter and resume by April 30, 2014 to:
Roxanne Wideen Director, Human Resources Tourism Calgary
Please note: only those selected for an interview will be contacted. A selection of writing samples will be required at the time of the interview as well as three references.