- Jan 22, 2016
- Jan 8, 2016
- Calgary TELUS Convention Centre
Reporting to the Director of Event Management, this position is responsible for the administration, management and execution of events held at the Convention Centre. This position is the liaison between internal departments, in-house suppliers and the client for all event communication and logistics. This includes the initial event booking, contract finalization, event delivery, follow-up, and billing through to continued communication for future business.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Promotes and sells event space and services
- Oversees and manages the entire event from pre-event planning meetings, operational meetings and post event follow-up meetings with the client
- Meets with event organizers and/or clients and suppliers to coordinate the logistical details of the event and provide guidance in the best use of the facility and its services
- Liaises with the client, internal departments, in-house suppliers and outside service companies to review event details and coordinate services as per the client’s request and satisfaction
- Finalizes logistical details and inputs all pertinent event information into the event business management system (Ungerboeck) to ensure services requested by the client are communicated and delivered as per the contract
- Generates and processes the necessary documentation (i.e. letters, proposals, contracts, service orders, floor plans, utility requirements, initial and final deposits, and applicable building and city codes/regulations and standards) to complete the sales and event management process
- Handles the administrative paperwork involved in booking an event such as data input to create the event order, responding to email requests, filing, photocopying etc.
- Facilitates in the planning of food and beverage requirements and ensures catering procedures and policies regarding minimum standards are followed
- Accurately calculates event and service charges and ensures the deposit schedule is received and the final billing is correct according to the contract
- Advises the client of fire, safety and building regulations and standards that need to be met
- Analyzes and records post event comments from the client and internal departments for future reference
- Maintains open and effective communication with internal departments and suppliers to ensure a successful event for the client
- Ensures service standards are being met by all internal departments and service providers
- Assists in the development of event management policies and procedures
- Provides site tours as required
- Other duties as assigned
Experience and Assets
- A degree or diploma in an appropriate discipline with 5-7 years of event management experience within the hospitality industry (i.e. sales, marketing, tourism, hotel/hospitality management)
- Completion of the Certified Meeting Professional (CMP), Canadian Special Events Professional (CSEP) and/or Event Management Certification would be a definite asset
- Excellent leadership, sales and marketing, organizational, time management, interpersonal, negotiation, planning, analytical and problem solving skills
- A team player who works within the concept of a “team approach” workload
- Ability to handle a multitude of tasks and work within a fast paced, details and deadline driven environment
- Good math aptitude to calculate room rentals, discounts, deposits etc.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and preferably the Ungerboeck meeting management software program;
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely and tactfully to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Strong customer service philosophy
- Operational knowledge of catering services, audio visual and show service equipment and various event setups
- Must be available to work a flexible work schedule that involves days, evenings and weekends
- Should have a basic knowledge of building operations; and Previous supervisory experience would be a definite asset.
The Convention Centre offers a comprehensive salary and benefits program which includes life and dependent life insurance, short and long term disability, health and dental benefits, travel medical emergency insurance, flexible spending account, employee assistance program, pension plan, flex and bonus hours, 3 weeks’ vacation, wellness programs, educational opportunities, and access to a fitness centre. Applicants interested in applying for this position can submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.