The Alto Awards recognize individuals and organizations committed to enriching Alberta’s tourism industry and who by their actions inspire others and demonstrate what can be achieved by working together. The Alto Awards will be presented in nine categories, and to the 2014 Alto Ambassador, at the Alto Awards gala, October 20, 2014, in conjunction with the 14th annual Travel Alberta Industry Conference in Banff, October 19-21, 2014. You are all encouraged to nominate your organizations in the various categories offered.
Grant McCurdy has been named 2014 Alto Ambassador. Alto award applications are still being accepted in the remaining categories below:
2014 Alto Ambassador
Alberta is a diverse and vibrant province and these qualities are reflected in the tourism products and services offered. The Alto Alberta Pride Award was created to recognize a business or organization that captures the essence of the Alberta experience. What is the Alberta experience? It could be what your guests do when they arrive or how they feel when they leave. It could be a vacation experience that’s unique to the province or it may be that your guests perceive Alberta as a very special place.
- Collaborative Tourism Alto Award 2014
- 2014 Collaborative Tourism Finalist – Alberta SouthWest Regional Economic Development Alliance, “SouthWest Connect” Regional Wi-Fi Network, Pincher Creek
- 2014 Collaborative Tourism Finalist – Calgary Sport Tourism Authority, Calgary
- 2014 Collaborative Tourism Finalist – Tourism Canmore, Canmore Uncorked Festival, Canmore
Marketing Excellence (Up To $10,000)
- Marketing Excellence Alto Award (Up To $10,000) 2014
- 2014 Marketing Excellence (budget up to $10,000) Finalist – “Get Outta Town” Online Marketing Campaign, Edmonton Regional Tourism Group, Parkland County
- 2014 Marketing Excellence (budget up to $10,000) Finalist – Hotels Red Deer, Centennial Online Campaign, Red Deer
- 2014 Marketing Excellence (budget up to $10,000) Finalist – MagicBus Tours Ltd, Edmonton
Marketing Excellence ($10,000 - $50,000)
- Marketing Excellence Alto Award ($10,000 -$50,000) 2014
- 2014 Marketing Excellence ($10,000-50,000) Finalist – Banff Lake Louise Tourism, Ski.com Facebook Campaign, Banff
- 2014 Marketing Excellence (budget $10,000-50,000) Finalist – Jasper Pride Festival Campaign, Jasper
- 2014 Marketing Excellence ($10,000-50,000) Finalist – Royal Tyrrell Museum, Dinosaur Country Campaign, Drumheller
Marketing Excellence (Over $50,000)
The Alto Marketing Excellence Award recognizes creative marketing campaigns that encourage travel to, and within, Alberta. Emphasis is on original and effective campaigns that push the boundaries of common current practices and result in greater than expected return on investment. Total budget for the campaign or project must be over $50,000.
- Marketing Excellence Alto Award (Over $50,000) 2014
- 2014 Marketing Excellence (budget over $50,000) Finalist – Calgary Stampede, Champions campaign, Calgary
- 2014 Marketing Excellence (Budget over $50,000) Finalist – Edmonton Tourism, Winter In Edmonton, Edmonton
- 2014 Marketing Excellence (budget over $50,000) Finalist – “Escape Today,” 50th Anniversary of Heritage Park Historical Village, Calgary
The Alto Marketing Partnership Award recognizes partnerships of two or more organizations exhibiting exceptional achievement in tourism marketing and who demonstrate the success of working together.
- Marketing Partnership Alto Award 2014
- 2014 Marketing Partnership Finalist – Conseil de développement économique de l’Alberta, “La Petite Seduction TV Show,” Canmore
- 2014 Marketing Partnership Finalist – Edmonton International Airport, Edmonton
- 2014 Marketing Partnership Finalist – “Escape Today,” 50th Anniversary Celebration of Heritage Park Historical Village, Calgary
Outstanding Sustainable Tourism
- Outstanding Sustainable Tourism Alto Award 2014
- 2014 Outstanding Sustainable Tourism Finalist – The Banff Canoe Club, Banff
- 2014 Outstanding Sustainable Tourism Finalist – Catch & The Oyster Bar, Calgary
- 2014 Outstanding Sustainable Tourism Finalist – Medalta in the Historic Clay District of Medicine Hat
The Alto Tourism Media Award recognizes that the stories travel media share with their audiences benefit both the tourism industry and travellers. This competition is open to all media – broadcast, print and online – who have produced a tourism-oriented piece that showcases Alberta.
- Tourism Media Alto Award 2014
- 2014 Tourism Media Finalist – Crai S. Bower, “Excellence in the Canadian Rockies,” American Way (American Airlines inflight magazine)
- 2014 Tourism Media Finalist – Katharine Fletcher, “Experiencing Alberta’s Cowboy Trail,” Young@Heart Newspaper
- 2014 Tourism Media Finalist – Jill Robinson, “Canmore’s Can-do Spirit,” San Francisco Chronicle