Australians continue to travel the world on increasingly unique quests, according to Fairfax Media. The Australian Bureau of Statistics reports that the drop of the Australian dollar against the U.S. dollar makes travellers cautious, but often does not deter their travel interest to North America.
Although there are no direct flights from Australia to Alberta, we leverage service through the gateways of Vancouver and Los Angeles, with increased capacity in the summer months with Air Canada, Qantas and Air New Zealand. In August 2014, Diio Mi reported that 60% of Canada’s visitors from Australia entered via the U.S., which presents great opportunity for dual-nation itineraries.
According to Destination Canada’s Global Tourism Watch 2014, 2.7 million Australian travellers are interested in visiting Canada in the next two years. Alberta is in a good position to take advantage of this as Australian travel experts report the Rocky Mountains and national parks in Alberta are commonly part of sought-after holiday packages.
Independent travel is also on the rise with industry experts reporting increases in length of stay for tailor-made Canada itineraries, providing the opportunity to expand on product and increase room nights and spending.
Awareness of Alberta as a travel destination is still low in Australia and Travel Alberta will continue to leverage our partnership with Destination Canada and a strong Canada brand to reach our target customers. We will also continue to partner with Destination British Columbia on a Canada’s West approach.
- Engage the digitally connected traveller through year-round marketing
- Target and engage high-potential travellers and maximize brand extensions by leveraging well-known brands in Australia
- Leverage the strong Canada brand by partnering with Destination Canada
- Develop and support dual-nation (U.S./Canada) itineraries with travel trade to take advantage of increased visitation from Australia to the U.S.
- Engage the travel trade through the Experience Alberta training program and experiential events with Alberta industry partners
- Develop and promote Alberta export-ready products to increase offerings in tour operator itineraries
- Host key influencers to generate further awareness of Alberta’s vacation experiences
- Grow and engage our social media communities by leveraging influencers to drive advocacy
- Increased awareness of Alberta experiences through travel trade partnerships
- Additional export-ready products sold in the market
- Well-educated sales force of tour operators and travel agents selling Alberta in the market
- Positive media coverage for Alberta from targeted media outlets
- Growth and increased engagement in social media communities
- Growth in room nights and passenger numbers to Alberta