The Netherlands was hit hard by the global economic crisis and continues to struggle through recovery, although the market remains competitive in the European Union. According to De Telegraaf, in 2013 Dutch travellers spent €15.7 million on holidays, with 85% allocated to a holiday abroad.
Awareness of Alberta as a travel destination is low in this market and it’s important that we lead with icons such as the Canadian Rockies to spark interest in visiting Canada and Alberta.
Travel Alberta will continue marketing through our KLM partnership. We will also continue to support initiatives by the Canada Marketing Committee (CMC) in the absence of the Canadian Tourism Commission (CTC) in the Netherlands to ensure Alberta has a voice with the travel trade community.
Although not robust, air access to Alberta is adequate with daily non-stop flights in the summer and six weekly flights during the winter with KLM. Alberta continues to see inbound visitors from the Netherlands and neighbouring European countries through connecting and charter flights, codeshare agreements, and the addition of Iceland Air via Reykjavik to Edmonton.
- Invest in Alberta summer campaign and Alberta/KLM winter consumer campaign
- Build relationships with travel trade through joint marketing agreements, FAM trips, learning opportunities and innovative events
- Work with KLM and top media influencers from the Netherlands through media and social media activities to share Alberta’s tourism story
- Increased awareness of Alberta summer experiences through travel trade partnerships
- Additional export-ready products supported by receptive tour operators through key accounts
- Positive media coverage for Alberta from targeted media outlets
- Growth and increased engagement in social media communities