Tourism Week Begins May 29: Why Does Tourism Matter In Your Community?
It’s almost Tourism Week in Canada and we want to hear why tourism matters in your community.
Running from May 29 to June 4, Tourism Week in Canada celebrates all Canada's dynamic travel and tourism industry. Here in Alberta, tourism is a robust and resilient $8 billion industry supporting over 19,000 businesses and over 127,000 jobs.
Alberta’s visitor economy holds great promise as a core pillar of economic diversification now and in the future. The importance of Alberta’s visitor economy can’t be underestimated.
The full impact of the visitor economy is felt when the multiplier effect of tourist spending ripples throughout our whole economy, supporting job creation, infrastructure development and community building.
The bottom line: Tourism works for Alberta.
So why does tourism matter in your community?
Tourism shapes and benefits your community in many ways. We want to you to tell us why!
- Throughout the week, tweet and post about why tourism is important in your community using the hashtag #TourismWorks on Twitter.
- If you’re not on Twitter, send a quick email to firstname.lastname@example.org telling us why tourism matters.
At the end of Tourism Week, we will collect and share your responses with the world.
Other ways you can get involved
Tourism Week in Canada celebrates tourism’s tremendous contributions to economic growth and job creation. Organized by the Tourism Industry Association of Canada (TIAC), it also raises awareness of the public policy challenges serving to undermine Canada's competitiveness in attracting international visitors
This week is a great opportunity to kick-off the summer season in Alberta and showcase our province’s diverse range of authentic experiences. Here are some other ways to get involved:
- Engage your local media and social media followers on why tourism matters to your community. TIAC has some great online resources to help you.
- Follow TIAC's Twitter page. Updates will be provided on Tourism Week in Canada, including industry facts and figures using the hashtag #tourismweek.
- Communicate with decision-makers in your community to let them know how public policy impacts your business.
- Join the conversation about the tourism industry in Alberta on Travel Alberta’s corporate Twitter page. Throughout the week, tweet and post about why tourism is important in your community using the hashtag #TourismWorks.
- Find inspiration at travelalberta.com to plan your activities for Tourism Week, including places to go, things to do and exciting travel deals. For further inspiration, check out Alberta’s authentic experiences in breathtaking landscapes on Travel Alberta’s YouTube channel.
For a stronger Alberta economy, tourism is a growing opportunity, not only in driving revenue for the province, but by contributing to the vitality of our communities.
As Team Alberta, we will persevere in our efforts to present compelling invitations for the world to visit Alberta, and support our government in their continued action to create jobs and deliver economic diversification.