It’s Tourism Week in Canada: Why Does Tourism Matter in Your Community?
From May 29 to June 4, Tourism Week in Canada celebrates our country’s dynamic travel and tourism industry. Here in Alberta, tourism is a strong and dynamic $8 billion industry supporting over 19,000 businesses and over 127,000 jobs.
Tell us, why does tourism matter in your community?
Alberta’s visitor economy holds great promise as a core pillar of economic diversification now and in the future. The importance of Alberta’s visitor economy can’t be underestimated.
Tourism works for Alberta, but we want you to tell us why it matters in your community. Does it provide jobs? Pride of place? A sense of community?
We want to you to tell us!
- Throughout the week, tweet and post about why tourism is important in your community using the hashtag #TourismWorks on Twitter.
- If you’re not on Twitter, send a quick email to email@example.com telling us why tourism matters.
At the end of Tourism Week, we will collect and share your responses with the world.
Recognize a tourism hero by June 3
Know any Alberta tourism industry heroes? In recognition of Tourism Week in Canada, the deadline for 2016 Alto Ambassador Award nominations has been extended to Friday, June 3. Recognize those who go “above and beyond” in Alberta tourism.
Lots of other ways to get involved
Organized by the Tourism Industry Association of Canada (TIAC), tourism Week in Canada celebrates tourism’s tremendous contributions to economic growth and job creation, and raises awareness of the public policy challenges that impact the tourism industry.
This week is a great opportunity to kick-off the summer season in Alberta and showcase our province’s diverse range of authentic experiences. Here are some other ways to get involved:
- Engage your local media and social media followers on why tourism matters to your community. TIAC has some great online resources to help you.
- Follow TIAC’s Twitter page. Updates will be provided on Tourism Week in Canada, including industry facts and figures using the hashtag #tourismweek.
- Communicate with decision-makers in your community to let them know how public policy impacts your business.
- Join the conversation about the tourism industry in Alberta on Travel Alberta’s corporate Twitter page. Throughout the week, tweet and post about why tourism is important in your community using the hashtag #TourismWorks.
- Find inspiration at travelalberta.com to plan your activities for Tourism Week, including places to go, things to do and exciting travel deals. For further inspiration, check out Alberta’s authentic experiences in breathtaking landscapes on Travel Alberta’s YouTube channel.