Federal Government will open more visa application offices in China: September 2016 Market Monitor
The Canadian government will open seven additional visa application offices across Canada to help service the growing number of Chinese tourists visiting Canada.
The Alberta Government’s latest edition of the Alberta Tourism Market Monitor highlights the potential of Chinese markets to Alberta.
At present, China is the third largest international market for visitors to Canada after the U.S. and the U.K. In 2014 approximately 91,000 Chinese visitors came to Alberta and spent approximately $71 million.
Summary of findings:
Occupancy at Alberta Resorts reaches record highs
- The Alberta occupancy rate for July was 93.1%, up 2.5 points over July 2015
- Average daily room rate was $335.54 in July 2016, up 15.5% higher than July 2015
- July 2016 occupancy rate is the highest since 2005 when Alberta Culture and Tourism began recording accommodation indices for the Alberta Resorts region
Traffic at Calgary International Airport edged upward in July
- Calgary International Airport recorded approximately 1.6 million arrivals and departures in July 2016, up almost 40,000 (2.6%) arrivals and departures from July 2015
- International air traffic to Calgary International Airport was up 9.1% in July 2016
Read the full Market Monitor, which also includes updates on key indicator data:
- Air passengers
- Highway count
- National Park attendance
- Accommodation indices for major regions
- Accommodation indices for selected cities or towns
- Food services and drinking places
- Historic sites and Museums
- Exchange rates
- Oil price: Western Texas Intermediate
- Major tourism projects valued $5 million or greater
Annual editions and past editions of the Market Monitor are also available.