Finance Coordinator, Marketing - Travel Alberta
Department: Finance and Corporate Operations
Travel Alberta is the tourism marketing agency of the Government of Alberta. A team of youthfully spirited adventurers lead in marketing Alberta’s authentic experiences in breathtaking landscapes around the world. Our mission: to create economic value and prosperity with compelling invitations to explore Alberta. Travel Alberta strives to empower individual passion and build inspirational leadership as ONE TEAM. If you want to be part of an award-winning organization with strong corporate values, passionate team members and a great culture, Travel Alberta is the destination for you.
The Finance Coordinator, Global Marketing provides financial compliance and administration support within Travel Alberta and specifically for the Global Marketing lines of business contributing to the accuracy, proficiency and accountability of the Global Marketing Teams. The position plays a pivotal role in internal processes and communication between the Finance Team, the Business Development Team and Consumer Marketing Team.
Reporting and analysis
- Prepare management and financial reports as required for internal and/or external stakeholders.
- Create tables, graphs and charts on collected data.
- Compile and compare data collected on projects for consistency and efficiencies in reporting across projects, markets and segments.
- Standardize processes and procedures to maximize productivity for the Global Marketing Teams in compliance with internal financial requirements.
- Assist the Global Marketing Teams to collect performance measures that contribute to the market performance index and corporate scorecard.
Budget management and forecasting
- Assist the VPs, Global Marketing and Marketing Director Team with the development of the annual business unit and line of business operating budget.
- Monitor, update and reconcile project, market and business unit budgets on an on-going basis.
- Proactively communicate with the Global Marketing Teams to ensure project planning compliance with budget allocations for each fiscal year.
- Organize and perform monthly and quarterly accruals.
- Assist team in quarterly budget reforecasting and monthly variance analysis against budget.
- Communicate financial requirements to team and proactively manage internal financial deadlines to ensure compliance to monthly, quarterly, and year-end timelines.
Accounts payable / receivable
- Ensure accuracy in posting accounts payable invoices against project and general ledger codes.
- Prepare invoice requisitions & cheque requisitions.
- Ensure that account receivable transactions comply with financial policies, procedures and requirements.
- Follow-up on outstanding Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable invoices as required.
- Proactively identify and communicate needs between the Global Marketing Team and Finance.Expenses and disclosure.
- Prepare monthly expenses for VPs, Global Marketing and Marketing Director Teams.
- Reconcile expenses for greater Global Marketing Team and in-market representatives.
- Reconcile third-party contractor expenses, as applicable.
- Assist in the preparation of expense and reports in accordance with disclosure requirements.
Project authorization and contract administration
- Assist Global Marketing teams in completing internal forms and processes for Contractual Agreements, Partnership Agreements and Purchase Orders.
- Assist with requests for proposals, request for quotes and other documentation related to Contractual Agreements as required.
- Assist Global Marketing teams in completing internal forms and processes for Project Authorization Summary (PAS).
- Coordinate projects, including travel authorizations and all supporting documentation with the Global Marketing team to ensure full compliance to internal processes.
- Manage compliance with applicable policies and ensure execution to established financial plan.
Communication and stakeholder relations
- Update, deliver or coordinate training for the Global Marketing Team on existing and changes related to internal policies, procedures and forms.
- Manage finance processes to align marketing agencies, in-market representatives and vendors with Public Sector Accounting Standards and with TA internal policies.
- Ensure regular communication and budget sharing with the other Finance Coordinators and Finance Lead.
- Actively participate in meetings with the Finance Team, Global Marketing Teams and other internal committees and business units as it relates to Finance.
- Provide budget and finance updates as part of the regular calls with marketing agencies, in-market representatives and vendors.
- Adapt working schedule to ensure availability for regularly scheduled calls with in-market teams outside of regular office working hours.
- Identify potential risks to operation and proactively advise the appropriate team members or business units in a timely manner.
- Provide information for external stakeholders and audit requests.Vendors and marketing agency-related support.
Vendors and marketing agency-related support
- Perform detailed Budget Control Report (BCR) and invoices review, suggest specific changes and improvements for accuracy and understandability for all users (mainly marketing team members, auditors).
- Pursue continuous improvement on financial info provided by Vendors / Marketing Agencies to ensure accuracy and relevance of details provided to team members at various levels.
- Provide technical guidance on accounting, finance and budget related Vendor / Marketing Agency inquiries.
- Assist in risk management processes considering TA policies and best business practices.
- Support team members in finance related discussions with Vendor / Marketing Agencies, from simple compliance questions to full reviews of project budgets and reconciliations.
- Advise team members on Vendor / Marketing Agency contractual agreements related issues.
- Perform ad hoc reporting on Vendor / Marketing Agency related topics as needed.
- Coordinate deadlines for deliverables with multiple Vendors / Marketing Agencies to meet TA internal and external deadlines.
- Perform review of Aged A/R provided by Vendor / Marketing Agency compared with Travel Alberta’s Aged A/P to ensure accuracy of invoicing and posting. Follow up on non-current overdue invoices and communicate expected payment with Vendors / Marketing Agencies.
- Hold vendors / marketing agencies accountable for their work and manage processes to reduce risk of financial misstatement and improve processing efficiency.
Other duties as required
- Assist with implementation of process and policies to ensure financial compliance within Travel Alberta.
- Provide financial input and expertise for marketing initiatives.
- Provide reports and financial assistance to the Finance Team or Senior Leadership Team as required.
- Assist with the completion of various forms such as Hosting, Prizing, Gift and Travel Authority forms.
- Assist with record management, sourcing and archiving financial documents as required.
- Provide financial support to other business units to manage work capacity, absences and/or holidays within and across lines of business.• Assist with Reception duties and provide back-up coverage when required.
- Support other marketing activities as required.
- An administration, accounting or business diploma and/or degree or equivalent experience
- 2-3 years in a similar administrative or finance related role
- General understanding of budgets and accounting
- Practical knowledge and financial principles are expected. On-the-job training will focus on business unit’s needs and priorities
- Ability to understand and interpret financial documents, policies and procedures
- Ability for critical thinking and problem solving as work is detailed-oriented and requires analysis
- Strong creative and analytical skills are important in developing and interpreting reports
- Well-organized with ability to work under pressure and within tight deadlines
- Ability to work cooperatively with others
- Must have strong interpersonal and communication skills; proficient in oral and written communication
Your dedication and passion has taken your career to this point; now it is time to advance to a new level by stepping into Travel Alberta’s exciting working environment.
- This position is based in Calgary, Alberta
- Employment status: Full-time permanent
- Salary: $55,968 – $69,960 per annum
This position offers an excellent benefits package with SunLife Financial, including extended health and dental coverage, life insurance, travel insurance, long-term disability and a flexible spending account, along with free and confidential access to the Employee and Family Assistance Plan.
Since becoming a Crown corporation in 2009, Travel Alberta has been recognized with more than 60 awards for brand and marketing and excellence.
Closing Date: October 13, 2018
If you have the qualifications to succeed in this role, submit a cover letter, resume and your salary expectations, with the title in the subject line of your email, to email@example.com. If applicable, please indicate the name of the Travel Alberta Team Member who referred you to this role.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Any personal information submitted will be managed with the strictest of confidentiality.