Specialist, Digital Content, Business Development, Global Consumer Marketing - Travel Alberta
Travel Alberta is the destination promotion organization of Alberta. A team of spirited adventurers, we showcase Alberta’s authentic experiences in breathtaking landscapes around the world, with the goal to drive visitation to the province and increase the economic benefit of tourism. Travel Alberta also provides marketing expertise and destination development support to Alberta-based tourism businesses.
As an employer, we empower individual passion and build inspirational leadership as one team. If you want to be part of an award-winning organization with strong corporate values, passionate team members and a great culture, Travel Alberta is the destination for you.
Since becoming a Crown corporation in 2009, Travel Alberta has been recognized with more than 50 awards for corporate culture and brand and marketing excellence.
Reporting to the Manager of Global Content and Social Media, the Specialist, Digital Content will tell amazing stories about Alberta that will inspire Travel Alberta’s partners, and further the organization’s business-to-business and business-development goals. While part of the Global Content Team, the Digital Content Specialist will work closely with Travel Alberta’s Business Development team to help build and execute a content and distribution strategy, and then develop and distribute the right content to the right audience at the right time. This means working with an internal content team and external freelancers to create written articles, photographs and videos that are inspiring, on-brand and tailored for the audience and platform, be it Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn or other platforms that haven’t emerged yet. The Specialist will think strategically, manage budgets and contracts, handle invoicing, manage projects and thrive in a deadline-driven environment, all while bringing creativity and a passion for telling the stories of the province to the world.
Content creation, curation and distribution
- The Digital and Multimedia Content Specialist is an integral player within the Global Content Team working closely with the Business Development Team, external agencies and contractors to create compelling, relevant content for a variety of audiences.
- Responsible for day-to-day multi-channel content and calendar development from ideation, to creation, to distribution, bringing together all elements that make a story: headlines, subheads, copy, Internet video content, and short-form social posts.
- This position requires experienced storytelling, news and multimedia engagement skills in a deadline-oriented environment. It involves the creation of compelling stories, lists and videos across websites and mobile apps, including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Snapchat, Twitter, Pinterest and live events in social media. Experience with creating content for Chinese social media channels Weibo and WeChat is a bonus.
- The role requires sharp communication skills (including giving and receiving constructive feedback), project management skills and ongoing leadership of content marketing trends in order to successfully execute projects and provide expertise.
- Facilitate fact-checking, research, edit, proofread and implement appropriate edits for ongoing projects. Proven track record of writing, re-writing and editing content for B2C and B2B audiences. A love of experimentation and leadership in sharing stories in new and creative ways.
- Ensure all multimedia content is on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice, and optimized for all online & offline channels.
- Experienced writer and editor, in a variety of formats, such as: feature articles; advertorials; marketing & advertising copy; web articles; blog articles; social media content; E-newsletter articles; corporate articles
- Ability to populate and publish content through digital publishing platforms and content management systems.
- Collaborate with Alberta tourism industry partners and Travel Alberta team members on strategy/messaging, content creation and including photo and video production with Alberta-based creators.
- Maintain familiarity with Alberta’s key tourism experiences and travel destinations. Remain up to date on product changes and new offerings. Ensure regular collaboration with Alberta destination marketing organizations and key tourism industry partners, ensuring solid teamwork, sharing best practices and open lines of communication.
Budget Accountability and Reporting
- Accountable for content budgets for all projects as required.
- Manage and maintain budgets, monitor expenses and forecast costs for content projects from start to finish.
- Responsible for submitting expenses in a timely manner.
- University Degree in Journalism, Media Arts, Interactive Arts, Information Design, Marketing, or Business Communication.
- Minimum of 5 years in digital and multimedia content creation or publishing environment including video, photography, audio and written.
- Publishing experience: print and online, familiarity with publishing software, i.e. Sitecore, Microsoft tools, customized CMS and workflow tools .
- Must understand the challenges and best practices involved in optimizing content for online (social, web), and offline marketing and communication channels.
- Experience in newsroom environment is a bonus.
- Exceptional communications skills, combined with the ability to work with people at all levels of an organization.
- Extensive experience leading, coaching and managing external contractors, such as freelance writers and videographers;
- Ability to maintain a high level of independence, with minimal day-to-day supervision.
- Knowledge of the tourism industry is an asset.
This position is based in Calgary, Alberta
Domestic and international travel is required
Employment status: Full Time
Salary: $72,840 - $94,704 per annum
This position offers an excellent benefits package with SunLife Financial, including extended health and dental coverage, life insurance, travel insurance, long term disability and a flexible spending account. This individual will also participate in a defined benefit plan with the Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP), have free and confidential access to Sun Life’s RightDirections Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and be a part of Travel Alberta’s learning and development program, which includes up to 100% reimbursement to further education.
Since becoming a Crown corporation in 2009, Travel Alberta has been recognized with more than 50 awards for brand and marketing and excellence.
Closing Date: November 7, 2018
If you have the qualifications to succeed in this role, submit a cover letter, resume and your salary expectations, with the title in the subject line of your email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If applicable, please indicate the name of the Travel Alberta Team Member who referred you to this role.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Any personal information submitted will be managed with the strictest of confidentiality.