Position: Finance Coordinator
Department: Finance and Corporate Operations
Travel Alberta is the destination promotion organization of Alberta. We showcase Alberta tourism experiences to potential travellers in Canada and internationally. Travel Alberta provides marketing expertise and destination development support to Alberta-based tourism businesses, creating compelling reasons for travellers to explore Alberta.
Travel Alberta is mandated to promote the province as a top tourism destination and support the Government of Alberta in the development of tourism policy, advocacy, research, visitor services and product development.
Since becoming a Crown corporation in 2009, Travel Alberta has been recognized with more than 50 awards for corporate culture and brand and marketing excellence.
The Finance Coordinator provides financial compliance and administration support within Travel Alberta, contributing to the accuracy, proficiency and accountability of their client teams. The position plays a pivotal role in internal processes and communication between the Finance team and client lines of business.
What you need
- An administration, accounting or business diploma and/or degree or equivalent experience 2 to 3 years in a similar administrative or finance-related role
- General understanding of budgets and accounting
- Practical knowledge and financial principles are expected. On-the-job training will focus on business unit’s needs and priorities
- Ability to understand and interpret financial documents, policies and procedures
- Ability for critical thinking and problem solving as work is detailed-oriented and requires analysis
- Strong creative and analytical skills are important in developing and interpreting reports
- Well-organized with ability to work under pressure and within tight deadlines
- Ability to work cooperatively with others
- Must have strong interpersonal and communication skills; proficient in oral and written communication
What you’ll do
- Reporting and analysis, including preparation of management and financial reports as required for internal and/or external stakeholders
- Compile and compare data collected on projects for consistency and efficiencies in reporting across projects, markets and segments
- Budget management and forecasting to help client lines of business develop budgets; monitor, update and reconcile project, market and business unit budgets on an ongoing basis
- Monthly and quarterly accruals, and support with quarterly budget reforecasting and monthly variance analysis against budget
- Accounts payable and receivable to ensure accuracy in posting accounts payable invoices against project and general ledger codes; preparation of invoice requisitions and cheque requisitions
- Prepare monthly expenses for VPs and directors; reconcile expenses and assist in the preparation of expenses and reports in accordance with disclosure requirements
- Support client teams with forms and processes for contractual agreements, partnership agreements and purchase orders
- Help with requests for proposals or quotes
- Coordinate projects, including travel authorizations and all supporting documentation, to ensure full compliance to internal processes
- Manage compliance with applicable policies and ensure execution to established financial plan
- Manage finance processes to align marketing agencies, in-market representatives and vendors with Public Sector Accounting Standards and with TA internal policies
- Perform detailed Budget Control Report (BCR) and invoices review, suggest specific changes and improvements for accuracy and understandability for all users
- Provide support with finance and budget-related work to vendors and marketing agencies Support other marketing activities as required.
Your dedication and passion have taken your career to this point; now it is time to advance to a new level by stepping into Travel Alberta’s exciting working environment.
This position is based in Calgary, Alberta
Some travel is required, some overtime may be required, some evening and weekend work is required, valid driver’s license is required
Employment status: Full-time permanent
Salary: $55,968 – $69,960 per annum
This position offers an excellent benefits package with Sun Life Financial, including extended health and dental coverage, life insurance, travel insurance, long-term disability and a flexible spending account. This individual will also participate in a defined benefit plan with the Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP), have free and confidential access to Sun Life’s RightDirections Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and be a part of Travel Alberta’s learning and development program to support career development.
Closing date: January 24, 2019
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Any personal information submitted will be managed with the strictest of confidentiality.