Front of House Manager
Alberta Theatre Projects is seeking a Front of House Manager.
Alberta Theatre Projects
JOB POSTING – FRONT OF HOUSE MANAGER
Alberta Theatre Projects (ATP) is in its 48th Season of producing live, professional, contemporary theatre in Calgary. ATP has a new Executive & Artistic Director who brings a fresh perspective and a compelling vision for the future of our organization.
“We are inventive, contemporary storytellers engaging our world through stirring theatrical experiences.”
Our Mission is to CREATE live theatre by telling relevant stories that reflect our community, to DEVELOP the work of Canadian artists to invite a diverse audience, and to EXPLORE intimate and immersive experiences in our home, the Martha Cohen Theatre.
At Alberta Theatre Projects, we create world-class contemporary theatre that blurs the line between the audience and the artist, by telling the most provocative and engaging stories of our time. By embracing the intimacy and unique audience configuration opportunities of the Martha Cohen Theatre, we offer an exciting new experience for our audience with each production.
The 2019-2020 Season includes 6 contemporary plays – the hilarious comedy The Wedding Party, Pulitzer-Prize winning contemporary drama Disgraced, classic family adventure The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, international sensation Old Stock: A Refugee Love Story, Ovation Award winner Actually, and a heart-warming love letter to the Alberta rodeo life - Cowgirl Up!
ABOUT THE POSITION
Reporting to the General Manager, this position leads patron services for all events led by Alberta Theatre Projects and for customer service within the Martha Cohen Theatre for both season productions and rental clients.
This position supervises approximately 30 part-time staff members and is responsible for augmenting ATP’s patron experience at the in-person portion of the customer journey. This role works closely with counterparts across the organization to ensure that the front of house is an exceptional point of contact as the audience enjoys their theatre experience.
This is a full-time, permanent, management role that leads all front of house staff and volunteers.
- In collaboration with General Manager, plan and execute strategy for front of house, including service delivery, operations, and revenue generation
- Supervision, coaching, and on-site oversight of staff and volunteers
- Liaising with external stakeholders, such as caterers and sponsors, to confirm attendance and patron event details
- Scheduling and administration of staff timesheets
- Scheduling and managing volunteers
- Managing front of house budget, inventory control, and product strategy
- Leading environmental elements of the Front of House, such as temperature and accessibility
- Providing superior customer service to Alberta Theatre Projects patrons
- On site troubleshooting, problem solving and general management (including acting as escalation point)
- Preparing event memos in advance for Alberta Theatre Projects staff
- Representing Alberta Theatre Projects on site by coordinating and organizing patron events
- Ensuring smooth theatre and lobby function during performances and events
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven organizational and time management abilities
- An outgoing, friendly personality
- Theatre management experience an asset
- At least 5 years’ experience in people management in a customer service setting
- Strategic thinking skills and an ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Budget management experience
- Strong self-motivational skills and an ability to work unsupervised
- A passion for and knowledge of theatre, arts, and culture
- Strong computer skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work nights and evening
- ProServe and First Aid certification
This position requires a flexible work schedule due to operational needs of Alberta Theatre Projects and events taking place in the Martha Cohen Theatre, including frequent evening, weekend, and holiday work.
Please email a letter of interest and resume in confidence to Kyle Russell, General Manager, at email@example.com before Friday, October 4, at 9:00 a.m.
Alberta Theatre Projects is committed to reflecting the diversity of our community. We believe in quality and inclusion and strongly encourage submissions from all qualified individuals regardless of gender, age, race, sexual orientation, and physical ability.
Thank you to all applicants. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls, please. For more information about Alberta Theatre Projects please visit our website, www.atplive.com.