Indigenous Tourism Alberta
ITA is a membership-based Indigenous-led tourism development and marketing organization. ITA encourages and promotes authentic Indigenous tourism that showcases the unique and immersive experiences offered by its members throughout our four regions; North, Central and Southern Alberta as well as the Rockies. ITA’s goal is to enhance economic viability, further engage and support our Indigenous peoples and nurture these partnerships throughout the province by sharing our stories, culture and experiences with a global audience.
ITA’s Key Priorities
1. Lead the growth and development of Alberta’s Indigenous tourism industry.
2. Develop sustainable market-ready and export-ready Indigenous tourism products.
3. Increase demand for Alberta’s Indigenous tourism experiences.
For more information, visit www.IndigenousTourismAlberta.ca
The Executive Director oversees all planning and operations for Indigenous Tourism Alberta (ITA). The Executive Director reports directly to the ITA Board of Directors, assists the Board with the development of strategic plans and policies, and ensures these plans and policies are effectively carried out by management and staff. The Executive Director oversees all human and financial resources, and guides managers to ensure the organization’s performance meets the strategic plan in accordance with the direction set by the Board of Directors.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
1) Oversees all ITA operations and provides effective leadership to the organization.
2) Ensures that ITA maintains appropriate systems to manage existing operational, health, safety, financial, and business risks.
3) Attends Board meetings to report on the status of programs and projects, to present matters requiring the approval of the Board, and to advise the Board on the practical feasibility of various options and plans being considered.
4) Prepares and submits business plans, budgets, economic and business opportunities, financial statements, and statistical reports for consideration and action by the Board.
5) Communicates to the Board on a timely basis any material matters affecting ITA and its business partners.
6) Recommends to the Board any significant changes in the organizational structure in order to better meet current and future operational requirements.
7) Oversees the preparation of documents for Board meetings and ensures managers who are attending the Board meetings are sufficiently prepared.
8) Interprets the Board’s goals and policy guidelines and translates them into specific operational plans that are practical and financially feasible.
• Post-secondary degree in a discipline related to tourism management or business management preferably at the graduate level.
• Five years’ experience in a senior management role.
• Strong and proven leadership skills.
• Good understanding of the tourism sector and contacts at senior levels of government and tourism marketing organizations in Alberta and Canada.
• Good understanding of capacity building processes, procedures and challenges in Indigenous businesses and communities.
• Knowledgeable of Indigenous culture and a strong desire to develop economic opportunities for indigenous tourism businesses.
• Knowledge of funding sources, including public and private sectors, government and non-government, and the willingness and ability to research alternative sources of funding.
• Knowledge and experience of employment, training and human resource development.
• Knowledge and understanding of budgeting, accounting and finance.
• Excellent oral and written communications skills
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Conflict resolution skills.
• Experience working in a fast-paced environment and effective at time management.
• Excellent negotiation skills.
• Proficiency in the use of current office productivity software (Microsoft Office suite of products).
If you are interested in this opportunity, please forward your cover letter and resume to the attention of ITA Board Chair Tim Patterson email@example.com. This job posting is open until 2:00 PM MTN, Friday, November 15th, 2019
ITA would like to thank all applicants, however only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.