Manager, Marketplaces and Events
Travel Alberta is hiring a Manager, Marketplaces and Events.
Travel Alberta - Manager, Marketplaces and Events
Department: Industry Development
Travel Alberta is the destination promotion organization of Alberta. We showcase Alberta tourism experiences to potential travellers in Canada and internationally. Travel Alberta provides marketing expertise and destination development support to Alberta-based tourism businesses, creating compelling reasons for travellers to explore Alberta.
Established as a crown corporation in 2009, Travel Alberta is mandated to promote the province as a top tourism destination and support the Government of Alberta in the development of tourism policy, advocacy, research, visitor services and product development.
Since becoming a Crown corporation in 2009, Travel Alberta has been recognized with more than 50 awards for corporate culture and brand and marketing excellence. This year Travel Alberta is proud to be named one of Alberta’s Top employers in 2019.
Reporting to the Director, Industry Events and Marketplaces, the Manager, Events and Marketplaces, will be responsible for the overall planning, coordination, execution and evaluation of external-facing events, marketplaces and tradeshows.
What you need
Your dedication and passion have taken your career to this point, and now it is time to advance to a new level by stepping into Travel Alberta’s exciting working environment. Here are the qualifications required to be successful in this role:
- 4-year bachelor’s degree and/or 10 years marketing, Communications, Events experience.
- Certification through a recognized event planning, communications, public relations or related field.
- 7+ year’s event management experience in high performance environments
- Previous experience in a leadership role
- Experience in B2B event planning, managing large-scale trade shows and events
- Experience managing contractors and third-party vendors
- Experience in the tourism industry is an asset
- Understanding of event marketing and infrastructural requirements
- Familiarity of legislation and regulations pertaining to the event industry, especially with regard to risk, health & safety, and its impact upon events management
- Understanding of event measurement
- Aptitude to identify and analyze complex issues and provide creative solutions
- Strong negotiation skills an asset
- Highly developed project management and organizational skills. Works well under pressure and delivers on time
What you’ll do
- Lead on Travel Alberta external-facing public relations events including; Canada’s West Marketplace, Rendez-vous Canada, and other special events.
- Participate on Industry Conference Planning Committee and assist with all logistics on the planning, execution and evaluation of Industry Conference and Altos
- Assist with the planning, execution and evaluation of Business Development events, Road Shows and other industry events as required
- Hire and supervise contractors; including, but not limited to, Events & Logistics, Registration, Sponsorship and Technology
- Manage logistical needs for events including securing venues, planning audio visual requirements, organizing food & beverage, coordinating registration, etc.
- Liaise with Host Destination, including negotiating their contribution and any components they are responsible for
- Liaise with Alberta Tourism Suppliers (Sellers) on attending the show and communicate all relevant trade show information as required
- Manage logistical components in conjunction with the Events & Logistics Contractor for space requirements for the trade show and functions
- Ensure meaningful measurements are incorporated into the events and measure and report on performance/satisfaction
- Develop and manage timelines and critical paths, ensuring deadlines are met • Manage events budget, including forecasting
- Plan and execute sponsorship opportunities as required
- Prepare event evaluation report, chair debrief meeting and determine and implement strategic and tactical changes to Alberta’s presence at key events
Leadership and Partnerships
- Manage, develop and coach events teams (two Team Members) - clarifying expectations, recognizing performance, developing team member competencies and supporting developmental opportunities.
- Proactively consult with business units on event specific needs and develop event briefs and ongoing status reports
- Manage and maintain partnerships with vendors and tourism partnerships
- Source suppliers/agencies, coordinate quotes/request for proposals, negotiate contracts
- Manage booth partnerships and placement
This position is based in Calgary, Alberta Employment status: Full-time permanent Some overtime, evening and weekend work as well as domestic travel is required
This position offers an excellent benefits package with Sun Life Financial, including extended health and dental coverage, life insurance, travel insurance, long-term disability and a flexible spending account. This individual will also participate in a defined benefit plan with the Management Employees Pension Plan (MEPP), have free and confidential access to Sun Life’s RightDirections Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and be a part of Travel Alberta’s learning and development program to support career development.
Closing date: May 10, 2019
If you have the qualifications to succeed in this role, submit a cover letter, resume and your salary expectations, with the title and reference number 2019002 in the subject line of your email to email@example.com. If applicable, please indicate the name of the Travel Alberta team member who referred you to this role.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Any personal information submitted will be managed with the strictest of confidentiality.