Travel Alberta - Finance Coordinator
Tourism is a major driver of Alberta's economy. And it's not just front-line tourism businesses who play a role. A diverse range of industries and jobs across the province benefit from travellers who come to Alberta.
As Alberta's destination promotion organization, the team at Travel Alberta connects the province's breathtaking landscapes and authentic experiences with travellers from around the world, inspiring them to visit. Delivering a range of services in marketing and destination development, our team of professionals plays a vital role in promoting the province, diversifying the economy and helping Alberta businesses grow.
If you're passionate about helping this province prosper and want to be part of an award-winning organization with strong corporate values, energetic team members and a great culture, Travel Alberta is the destination for you.
The Finance Coordinator provides financial compliance and administration support within Travel Alberta, contributing to the accuracy, proficiency and accountability of their client teams. The position plays a pivotal role in internal processes and communication between the Finance team and client lines of business.
What you need
- An administration, accounting or business diploma and/or degree or equivalent experience
- 2 to 3 years in a similar administrative or finance-related role
- General understanding of budgets and accounting
- Practical knowledge and financial principles are expected. On-the-job training will focus on business unit’s needs and priorities
- Ability to understand and interpret financial documents, policies and procedures
- Ability for critical thinking and problem solving as work is detailed-oriented and requires analysis
- Strong creative and analytical skills are important in developing and interpreting reports
- Well-organized with ability to work under pressure and within tight deadlines
- Ability to work cooperatively with others
- Must have strong interpersonal and communication skills; proficient in oral and written communication
What you’ll do
- Reporting and analysis, including preparation of management and financial reports as required for internal and/or external stakeholders
- Compile and compare data collected on projects for consistency and efficiencies in reporting across projects, markets and segments
- Budget management and forecasting to help client lines of business develop budgets; monitor, update and reconcile project, market and business unit budgets on an ongoing basis
- Monthly and quarterly accruals, and support with quarterly budget reforecasting and monthly variance analysis against budget
- Accounts payable and receivable to ensure accuracy in posting accounts payable invoices against project and general ledger codes; preparation of invoice requisitions and cheque requisitions
- Prepare monthly expenses for VPs and directors; reconcile expenses and assist in the preparation of expenses and reports in accordance with disclosure requirements
- Support client teams with forms and processes for contractual agreements, partnership agreements and purchase orders
- Help with requests for proposals or quotes
- Coordinate projects, including travel authorizations and all supporting documentation, to ensure full compliance to internal processes
- Manage compliance with applicable policies and ensure execution to established financial plan
- Manage finance processes to align marketing agencies, in-market representatives and vendors with Public Sector Accounting Standards and with TA internal policies.
- Perform detailed Budget Control Report (BCR) and invoices review, suggest specific changes and improvements for accuracy and understandability for all users
- Provide support with finance and budget-related work to vendors and marketing agencies
- Support other marketing activities as required
Closing date: Open until position filled
This position is based in Calgary, Alberta
Employment status: 14-month term covering for maternity leave
Some overtime, evening and weekend work may be required
Salary: $55,968 – $69,960 per annum
This position offers an excellent benefits package with Sun Life, including extended health and dental coverage, life insurance, travel insurance, long-term disability and a flexible spending account. This individual will also participate in a defined benefit plan with the Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP), have free and confidential access to Sun Life’s RightDirections Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and be a part of Travel Alberta’s learning and development program to support career development.
If you have the qualifications to succeed in this role, submit a cover letter, resume and your salary expectations, with the title in the subject line of your email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Any personal information submitted will be managed with the strictest of confidentiality.