Germany is the biggest economy in the Eurozone with a population ready and eager to travel. Germany’s GDP is forecasted to rise in 2015, and the country will remain the driving force of the Eurozone. Wages and salaries in Germany are also expected to rise in 2015, providing a boost in consumer confidence, according to ITB World Travel Trends Report 2014/2015.
Outbound travel from Germany grew 2% in 2014. In 2014, 28% of Europeans said that despite difficult economic conditions, they would like to take more international trips than the year before. ITB also predicts outbound travel from Germany will likely grow by 2% in 2015.
The German long-haul leisure traveller perceives Canada as a top travel destination. According to Destination Canada’s 2014 Global Tourism Watch, approximately 5.6 million German travellers report interest in visiting Canada. Alberta has great opportunity to capitalize on this demand with compelling experiences and strong air access. Alberta has daily non-stop flights from Germany and connecting flights and charters during the summer months, including the Icelandair connection via Reykjavik to Edmonton and the new addition by KLM from Amsterdam to Edmonton.
Awareness of Alberta as a travel destination is still low in Germany and Travel Alberta will continue to leverage our partnership with Destination Canada to reach our targeted customers through brand extension. Travel Alberta will continue to leverage the afterglow of the 2013 Dertour Academy by engaging the travel trade to grow Alberta products and itineraries and increase room nights into the province.
We will also continue to partner with Destination British Columbia on a Canada’s West marketing approach as most German travellers visit both B.C. and Alberta on a trip to Canada.
- Engage the digitally connected traveller through year-round marketing
- Build partnerships with the airport authorities and airline partners to actively promote access into Alberta
- Leverage the strong Canada brand by partnering with Destination Canada
- Leverage the afterglow of the 2013 Dertour Academy through travel trade channels by developing itineraries and growing room nights for Alberta
- Develop and promote Alberta export-ready products to increase offerings in tour operator itineraries
- Host key influencers to generate further awareness of Alberta’s vacation experiences
- Target and engage high-potential travellers and maximize brand extensions by leveraging well-known brands in the German market
- Grow and engage our social media communities by leveraging influencers to drive advocacy
- Create, curate and share inspiring Alberta stories in all channels
- Strong online presence for Alberta in the German market
- Additional Alberta export-ready products sold in the market
- Well-educated sales force of tour operators and travel agents selling Alberta in the market
- Growth in room nights and passenger numbers to Alberta
- Positive media coverage for Alberta from targeted media outlets
- Growth and increased engagement in social media communities