The Netherlands was hit hard by the global economic crisis and continues to struggle through recovery, although the market remains competitive in the Eurozone. In 2015, the Dutch economy will grow by around 1.5% and unemployment will decrease to about 6.5%.
According to the Euro Monitor, around 700,000 Dutch spent their holiday outside of Europe in 2014. In 2015, this number is expected to rise by 14% to 800,000 people. The biggest hurdle in capturing the Dutch traveller is the depreciation of the Euro against the dollar which makes trips here more expensive. The latter part of 2014 saw a decline of the Euro at a rate of 7%.
Awareness of Alberta as a travel destination is low in the Netherlands and it’s important that we lead with Alberta icons such as the Canadian Rockies to spark interest first in visiting Canada and then Alberta.
Travel Alberta will continue marketing through our KLM partnership. We will also continue to support initiatives by the Canada Marketing Committee in the absence of Destination Canada in the Netherlands to ensure Alberta has a voice with an influential travel trade community.
A new KLM non-stop flight from Amsterdam to Edmonton launched May 2015. The new flight flies four times a week in the summer and three times a week in the winter driving further access to Alberta. KLM has maintained its daily non-stop flight into Calgary in the summer and six flights a week during the winter. Alberta is well serviced through connecting and charter flights such as Air Transat, codeshare agreements and Icelandair from Reykjavik to Edmonton.
- Engage the digitally connected traveller through year-round marketing
- Leverage air access opportunities with KLM Amsterdam-Edmonton route and continue our marketing efforts focused in the Netherlands, the U.K. and Germany
- Increase export-ready products in Alberta’s north to support direct air access into Edmonton
- Work with travel trade to develop itineraries in the Edmonton area and increase room nights
- Host key influencers to generate further awareness of Alberta’s vacation experiences
- Grow and engage our social media communities by leveraging influencers to drive advocacy
- Create, curate and share inspiring Alberta stories in all channels
- Increased awareness of Alberta’s year-round experiences through travel trade partnerships
- Additional export-ready products sold in the market
- Well-educated sales force of tour operators and travel agents selling Alberta in the market
- Growth in room nights and passenger numbers to Alberta
- Positive media coverage for Alberta from targeted media outlets
- Growth and increased engagement in social media communities