Senior Manager, Communications
- Feb 17, 2017
- Feb 6, 2017
- Banff & Lake Louise Tourism
Take our message to the mountaintop
Inspire the world to experience Banff & Lake Louise
Let your passion, creativity and love of the mountain lifestyle come alive with Banff & Lake Louise Tourism. In this role, you will be responsible for the development, execution and management of internal and external communication activities that align with Banff & Lake Louise Tourism’s growth strategy, business and marketing plans. This position will support BLLT’s corporate brand by ensuring relevant, accurate, helpful and consistent storytelling.
We’re welcoming the world to our doorstep and we need you to help spread the word!
The ideal applicant will have:
- A degree/diploma in communications, journalism, public relations, marketing or related field with a minimum five years of experience;
- A minimum of 7 to 10 years progressive experience in internal and external communications, with at least 3 years in a leadership role;
- Strong people leadership, organizational, interpersonal and consultative skills;
- Experience in developing and implementing communications plans with key metrics for measuring success;
- Superior written and message development skills for various media and multiple stakeholders (internal and external);
- Proven ability to develop, articulate and gain support for organizational priorities and strategies;
- Candidate must have a proven track record of working under pressure in complex situations;
- Strong interpersonal and community relations skills;
- Strong research and analytical skills in developing and interpreting reports;
- Technically proficient and comfortable with using or learning a variety of computer applications;
- Must be innovative and adaptable, able to provide solutions and advice to others as needed;
- Membership in IABC and CPRS considered an asset;
- Knowledge of the tourism industry considered an asset;
- Bilingualism considered an asset.
What you’ll be responsible for:
Knowledge and People Leadership
- Providing leadership to the Media Coordinator;
- Developing multi-channel corporate communication plans, execute tactics and activities that support and deliver on the objectives outlined in BLLT’s business and marketing plans;
- Developing and managing a media relations approach, considerate of both proactive and reactive opportunities;
- Developing and maintaining a corporate communications dashboard and derive insights for constant progress;
- Managing government and member relations; working together with external stakeholders such as Parks Canada, Town of Banff, ID9, Banff & Lake Louise Hospitality Association and BLLT members’ communications on positioning and message development.
Media Relations and Brand Ambassador
- Reputation management, by means of managing efforts in building and influencing perception of the destination and responding appropriately to positive and negative press;
- Managing corporate media relations, including writing key messages, media releases, pitching and responding to media requests in line with BLLT content calendar, strategy and marketing initiatives;
- Using Simpleview (CRM) on a daily basis to track and report media visits with the organization and Consumer Marketing team;
- Managing ongoing media training and development of internal spokespeople;
- Following current events, always looking for a story opportunity;
- Stewarding the corporate brand, upholding the credibility and accountability of the organization;
- Handling the Crisis Communications; ensuring that customers, members and stakeholders receive regular and timely information on the crisis as it relates to our destination. Confirming key messages are consistent and timely and engaging industry stakeholder in dialogue and actions to deal with immediate or potential impacts.
- Researching and targeting key media and social media influencer outreach with customized pitches that align with the overall marketing, communications and editorial calendar;
- Planning and delivering media visits, including developing itineraries that show off our destination;
- Working with digital, print, and broadcast media to fact-check, provide assets, and coordinate BLLT director/CEO interviews as needed;
- Develop and execute social media strategies with Social Media Manager.
- Managing the production of corporate communication material and publications including the business plan, annual reports, strategy documents, presentations, speeches, reports and brochures;
- Researching, analyzing and reporting relevant communication, business, and industry information to support strategic decision making;
- Monitoring and reporting on corporate communication activities, objectives and accomplishments;
- Working in partnership with corporate agencies and contractors to deliver on strategic initiatives.
Content Creation, Curation and Distribution
- Developing and maintaining a strategic communications editorial plan and calendar;
- Curating, sharing and managing tourism-related news and information both internally and externally through BLLT’s owned and earned channels;
- Supporting industry participation in BLLT programs and services to strengthen BLLT’s competitive position;
- Media monitoring using Trendkite to measure, monitor and report on the impact and quality of coverage, to create a PR/Media strategy that is based on metrics;
- Prepare and format Board meeting reports as required.