Manager, Industry Development (North)
- Nov 30, 2016
- Nov 1, 2016
- Travel Alberta
Position: Manager, Industry Development (North)
Department: Industry Development
Travel Alberta is the tourism marketing agency of the Government of Alberta. A team of youthfully spirited adventurers lead in marketing Alberta’s authentic experiences in breathtaking landscapes around the world. Our mission: to create economic value and prosperity with compelling invitations to explore Alberta. Travel Alberta strives to empower individual passion and build inspirational leadership as ONE TEAM. If you want to be part of an award-winning organization with strong corporate values, passionate team members and a great culture, Travel Alberta is the destination for you.
Reporting to the Director, Industry Development and Education, the Manager, Industry Development (North) fosters alignment with industry stakeholders and Travel Alberta’s strategic direction and works to support industry partners to be more competitive, grow their marketing capacity, and elevate the Alberta visitor experience. This position is responsible for developing strong, ongoing relationships with Alberta tourism industry partners, to understand their needs and to support them with the information and resources needed to grow their businesses, contributing to the overall growth of tourism revenue to the province. Knowledgeable and experienced in tourism marketing and skilled in consultation, coaching, and education/training, the incumbent assists tourism industry partners in achieving their marketing goals and objectives pertaining to creating economic value and prosperity with compelling invitations to explore Alberta
Consultation and coaching
- Deliver consulting services, providing valuable advice to tourism industry stakeholders based on current trends and best practices.
- Assist industry stakeholders in planning effective marketing programs, developing annual marketing plans and implementing measurable promotional activities and projects that will help grow their businesses.
- Provide information and advice on accessing funding to support marketing activities.
- Promote Travel Alberta’s strategic objectives to industry stakeholders and assist industry to leverage Travel Alberta’s strategies and opportunities.
- Assess the needs of industry stakeholders and link industry to applicable information and resources.
- Build relationships that enable coaching on product/service improvements and experiential travel.
- Encourage and facilitate partnerships and collaborative behaviour (including partnerships with non-traditional businesses and organizations).
- Through research and discussions, remain current on best practices in marketing and tourism market trends.
Industry Training and Education
- Grow the tourism industry’s marketing capabilities and opportunities for revenue growth by improving their ability to link analysis, strategy, marketing, execution and results.
- Identify industry learning needs and provide skill development/education for industry stakeholders through assisting and/or leading in the development and delivery of high-quality education programs and workshops.
- Collaborate with other team members to develop educational programs to leverage internal expertise.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the workshops/programs and recommend improvements.
- Deliver presentations and workshops with engaging teaching and presentation skills.
Facilitation and consensus building
- Provide structure and processes to interactions so groups are able to function effectively and make high-quality decisions.
- Enable industry to achieve their utmost performance.
- Empower others to assume responsibility and take the lead.
- Build strong alliances with key stakeholders and organizations to increase collaboration and nurture alignment with Travel Alberta’s strategic direction.
- Asses the needs, priorities, challenges and opportunities within the region and develop and implement plans to influence action.
- Provide regional input to ensure industry stakeholders and Travel Alberta have an in-region voice.
- Contribute to the strategic planning of the Industry Development Business Unit by offering creative ideas and solutions for growing Alberta’s tourism industry.
- Collaborate with Alberta Culture and Tourism to drive strategic alignment between visitor ready, market ready and export ready initiatives.
- Build awareness and understanding of Travel Alberta and its strategies, supporting the development and promotion of Travel Alberta programs and services.
- Lead in advising/involving VP Community Relations in relevant issues.
- Act in a diplomatic and respectful manner.
- Focus on building long-term relationships.
- Continually expanding base knowledge and an understanding of current activities of Travel Alberta Business Units to provide industry stakeholders with current and actionable information.
- Inform business units on industry stakeholder information that may impact decision-making.
Cooperative Marketing Investment Program Support
- Lead by articulating the spirit and intent of the Cooperative Marketing Investment Program to industry stakeholders.
- Promote cooperative marketing.
- Support the assessment of Cooperative Marketing Investment Program applications in accordance with the guidelines, marketing best practices and return on investment. Provide consultation and guidance to applicants and manage expectations.
- Collaborate with other team members to assess co-op marketing applications as required (long haul and international markets, media relations and MICE activities.)
- Evaluate the effectiveness of cooperatively funded marketing projects.
- Knowledge of business and marketing theory, concepts, and practices important to effectively consult with tourism businesses
- Knowledge of basic market research techniques and their application
- Established relationship building skills
- Established conflict management skills
- Proven strategic planning skills
- Strong communication and problem solving skills
- Strong time management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience in public speaking/presentations
- A degree in Business, Marketing, or related area
- A minimum of five years’ experience in a tourism marketing role
- A minimum of three years’ experience in a senior leadership role
Your dedication and passion has taken your career to this point, now it is time to advance to a new level by stepping into Travel Alberta’s exciting working environment.
This position is based in Edmonton, Alberta
Frequent (often daily) in-province travel is required
Employment status: Full Time
This position offers an excellent benefits package with SunLife Financial, including extended health and dental coverage, life insurance, travel insurance, long term disability and a flexible spending account. This individual will also participate in a defined benefit plan with the Management Employee Pension Plan (MEPP), have free and confidential access to Morneau-Shepell (employee assistance provider) and be a part of Travel Alberta’s learning and development program, which includes up to 100% reimbursement to further education.
In 2014, Travel Alberta was recognized for providing an exceptional place to work by being awarded Top 65 Employers in Alberta, Best Small and Medium Employers in Canada and one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures.
Closing Date: November 30, 2016
If you have the qualifications to succeed in this role, submit a cover letter, resume and your salary expectations, with the title in the subject line of your email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If applicable, please indicate the name of the Travel Alberta Team Member who referred you to this role.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Any personal information submitted will be managed with the strictest of confidentiality.