- Feb 1, 2017
- Jan 13, 2017
- Alberta Parks
Scope: Wage Opportunity
Classification: Administrative Support 2
Ministry: Environment and Parks
Environment and Parks - We support Albertans in being proud stewards of air, land, water, and biodiversity by leading the work required for the desired environmental outcomes and sustainable development of natural resources.
For more information about the Ministry of Environment and Parks, please visit our website at: http://aep.alberta.ca/
Do you love sharing your passion for the outdoors with others? Then we have a fantastic summer job for you!
Multiple locations in David Thompson Management Area (Crimson Lake, Jarvis Bay, Pigeon Lake and Red Lodge Provincial Parks) are hiring Information Officers to work in the Alberta Parks campground registration and retail operations teams and give exceptional customer service through engaging interactions with visitors. You will also use your superior communication skills to provide information to visitors on features, attractions and important messaging associated with the use of our sites and facilities.
Specific responsibilities include:
Campground Booth/Store Operations
- Work closely in a team of 2-6 Information Officers, providing exceptional customer service while registering campers, recording reservations and processing payments using the provided software such as reserve.albertaparks.com
- Operating cash register and POS system and tracking expenditures
- Maintain the concession and retail sales area, including keeping inventory, receiving deliveries, tracking expenditures, ensuring the booth/store is cleaned and tidy at all times
- Providing information services over the phone, email and in person
- Providing administrative assistance to the area including reconciling camping, shower, and retail sales revenue, invoices and store inventory on a regular basis
- Communicating between clients and other Alberta Parks staff
About Your Work Environment
Alberta Parks is offering the opportunity to work in some of Alberta's most beautiful landscapes. If you enjoy meeting new people, exploring the outdoors, and helping parks visitors connect to the natural world, you'll want to be part of our team.
The ability to work both independently and as part of a team while demonstrating the Alberta Public Service values of respect, integrity, accountability and excellence in everything you do will be essential to your success.
The minimum requirements for the roles are:
- High School diploma plus at least one year related experience
- Fluent English skills
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Experience handing cash and using a till and debit/credit machine
- Ability to work both independently and in a team
- Available to work weekend and evening shifts during the season
- Available to attend the mandatory training program first week of May 2017
- Strong computer and Microsoft Office skills
Related post-secondary education, Alberta Parks experience and a second language considered an asset.
Prior to hire candidates must provide: current Criminal Record Check, Valid Class 5 Operator’s License, Drivers Abstract and current Standard First Aid CPR – C & AED certificate.
Competencies are behaviours that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in-depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
SYSTEMS THINKING - This work is one component of a larger work environment that includes other program areas so it's important to understand how this position contributes to the achieving Alberta Environment & Parks goals.
CREATIVE PROBLEMS SOLVING - Occasionally, challenges arise and staff must assess options, understand implications and determine appropriate actions to achieve the necessary solutions.
AGILITY – Staff must be agile in order to anticipate and quickly adapt to changing priorities and situations to effectively meet diverse visitor needs.
Administrative Support 2: $19.20 to $23.37 hourly (plus 11.2% in lieu of benefits)
- Dorm-style rental accommodation may be available
- Positions available at Crimson Lake, Jarvis Bay, Pigeon Lake and Red Lodge Provincial Parks. Please specify preferred work location in your cover letter.
- Positions are offered from the last week of April until after September long weekend with possible extension until after October long weekend.
- Interviews will be held in Red Deer on February 22nd and 23rd and in Rocky Mountain House on February 24th.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter with "IO-DTMA" in the subject line in one MS
Word file or PDF (Email applications are preferred).
Email, fax, mail or drop off (Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-noon and 1:00 p.m.-4:30 p.m.) to:
Environment & Parks
Parks Division, Central Region
Suite 700, Millennium Centre, 4909-49 Street
Red Deer, Alberta T4N 1V1
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.