- Nov 20, 2016
- Nov 4, 2016
- Travel Alberta
Position: Manager, Communications
Department: Corporate Communications
Travel Alberta is the tourism marketing agency of the Government of Alberta. A team of youthfully spirited adventurers lead in marketing Alberta’s authentic experiences in breathtaking landscapes around the world. Our mission: to create economic value and prosperity with compelling invitations to explore Alberta. Travel Alberta strives to empower individual passion and build inspirational leadership as ONE TEAM. If you want to be part of an award-winning organization with strong corporate values, passionate team members and a great culture, Travel Alberta is the destination for you.
In alignment with Travel Alberta’s Corporate Values and Team Principals, and reporting to the Director, Communications, this role is responsible for the development, execution and management of internal and external communication activities that align with Travel Alberta’s growth strategy and business and marketing plans. This position will support Travel Alberta’s corporate brand by ensuring relevant, accurate, helpful and consistent storytelling.
The incumbent provides direct leadership to the Specialist, Communications. The ability to lead, connect and facilitate within the business unit and across the organization is critical. Must have previous management experience, leading direct-reports.
This role provides day-to-day oversight and execution on the corporate communications strategy and leads in communication and cross-unit integration, alignment and story sharing.
This position reports into Finance and Corporate Operations and is an integral partner in setting strategic and tactical management in relation to the following areas:
Knowledge and People Leadership
- Provide leadership, management and administration of the Specialist, Communications.
- Develop multi-channel corporate communication plans, tactics and activities that support Travel Alberta’s business and marketing plans.
- Develop and manage media activities, both proactive and reactive.
- Maintain the corporate communications dashboard and derive insights for constant progress.
Content Creation, Curation and Distribution
- Develop and maintain a corporate communications editorial plan and calendar.
- Create, curate, share and manage tourism-related news and information both internally and externally through Travel Alberta owned and earned channels.
- Support industry participation in Travel Alberta programs and services to strengthen Alberta’s competitive position.
- Manage corporate and industry social media accounts, including coordinating content, monitoring accounts and providing strategic advice to team members.
- Manage Travel Alberta’s internal communications site, Base Camp, including developing content, editing and overseeing site structure and design.
Media Relations and Brand Stewardship
- Manage corporate media relations, including writing key messages and media releases, pitching and responding to media requests.
- Understand Travel Alberta’s audiences/stakeholders in order to effectively develop and deliver appropriate, relevant and credible content.
- Manage ongoing media training and development of internal spokespeople.
- Follow current events, always looking for a story opportunity.
- Steward of the corporate brand, upholding the credibility and accountability of the organization.
- Manage the production of corporate communication projects and publications including e- newsletters, strategy documents, presentations, speeches, reports and brochures.
- Research, analyze, and report relevant communication, business, and industry information to support strategic decision making.
- Monitor and report on corporate communication activities, objectives and accomplishments.
- Work in partnership with corporate agencies and contractors to deliver on strategic initiatives.
Additional Skills and Qualifications
- A degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing or related field with a minimum five years of experience.
- Previous management experience with both people and projects.
- Candidate must have a proven track record of working under pressure in complex situations.
- Strong interpersonal and community relations skills.
- Strong research and analytical skills in developing and interpreting reports.
- Technically proficient and comfortable with using or learning a variety of computer applications.
- Must be innovative and adaptable, able to provide solutions and advice to others.
Critical Thinking and Problem-Solving Skills
- Strong leadership, decision-making and project management skills
- Proficiency in oral and written communication
- Ability to work with budgets
- Ability to multi-task with minimal supervision
- Previous experience in a management role
Employment status: Full Time
This position is based in Calgary, Alberta.
Some regional travel required – meetings with industry partners, government representatives, or attendance and Travel Alberta regional events.
This position offers an excellent benefits package with SunLife Financial, including extended health and dental coverage, life insurance, travel insurance, long term disability and a flexible spending account. This individual will also participate in a defined benefit plan with the Management Employee Pension Plan (MEPP), have free and confidential access to Morneau-Shepell (employee assistance provider) and be a part of Travel Alberta’s learning and development program, which includes up to 100% reimbursement to further education.
In 2014, Travel Alberta was recognized for providing an exceptional place to work by being awarded Top 65 Employers in Alberta, Best Small and Medium Employers in Canada and one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures.
Closing Date: November 20, 2016
If you have the qualifications to succeed in this role, submit a cover letter, resume and your salary expectations, with the position title in the subject line of your email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If applicable, please indicate the name of the Travel Alberta Team Member who referred you to this role.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Any personal information submitted will be managed with the strictest of confidentiality.