Director of Sales
- Jun 12, 2015
- Jun 3, 2015
- Calgary TELUS Convention Centre
Reporting to the General Manager, this position is responsible for creating and delivering sales strategy, developing new markets and revenue streams, and providing vision, direction and leadership to the sales and research team as it relates to growing new convention business.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborates with the senior management team to develop and execute strategic plans including the preparation of annual budgets and business plans;
- Evaluates the competitive sales market on a current and future basis, analyzes competitor information and sales/marketing ideas and strategies; establishes goals and leads; maximizes cost efficiency and revenue generation to exceed sales goals;
- Reviews and analyzes all business development/sales reports and market data, prepares summary reports and implements and modifies strategies to ensure achievement of objectives;
- Coordinates research activities to ensure the organization has the market intelligence to fulfill its mandate (i.e. conducting market trend analysis, benchmarking, competitive analysis etc.);
- Hires, manages, coaches and supervises a sales team whose primary responsibility is the development and booking of new convention business;
- Collaborates with the Marketing and Communication Department in the development of advertising and marketing initiatives;
- Develops strategies to increase market share in existing markets, and creates new business development opportunities;
- Negotiates directly with clients and assists sales team in their contract negotiations;
- Oversees bid creation and preparation;
- Leads community engagement to secure local host/ambassador participation in international bids;
- Directs and assists staff with the development of sales presentations. Participates in major program presentations, closing and finalizes sales to ensure maximization of profits;
- Represents the organization by attending meetings, conventions, and trade shows for the solicitation of convention business;
- Develops and maintains relationships with key clients and business leaders and ensures the organization is profiled and represented with industry partners;
- Liaise with peers in Canadian and U.S. convention centres for marketing intelligence and benchmarking new ideas;
- Builds and maintains a successful ‘team’ culture;
- Works closely with hotel and tourism industry leaders to develop selling synergies for the city;
- Ensures the brand is aligned with the organization’s core values;
- Ensure staff have the necessary training, resources and tools to meet job performance requirements, satisfaction and service quality;
- Develops, implements and assures adherence to divisional policies and procedures and participate in the development of corporate policies and procedures; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience and Assets
- Preferably a degree or diploma in an appropriate discipline with a minimum of 8-10 years of progressive sales and marketing experience in the industry with 5 years in a senior leadership role.
- Strategic thinker with strong leadership and management skills where your style is to lead by example;
- Strong understanding of the sales processes – in particular, understanding the dedication necessary to close and/or promote opportunities;
- Exceptional track record of developing and implementing marketing and sales strategies that have consistently met or exceeded planned objectives. Ability to achieve the desired results by encouraging and supporting the contribution of others;
- High energy, positive and self-motivated team player who encourages others to achieve personal excellence;
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, project management, conflict resolution, organizational, communication, interpersonal, problem solving, and customer service skills;
- Ability to change gears quickly, analyze and assess and make appropriate recommendations and prioritize tasks accordingly. Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Detailed oriented and customer service focused. Works with an attention to detail with ability to see the “big picture”;
- Extremely effective public speaking and presentation skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively to create a results-driven team oriented environment;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and experience working with an event booking system would be an asset;
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule and overtime hours; and
- Ability to travel throughout North America and internationally as needed and hold a valid passport.
The Convention Centre offers a comprehensive salary and benefits program which includes life and dependent life insurance, short and long term disability, health and dental benefits, travel medical emergency insurance, flexible spending account, employee assistance program, pension plan, flex and bonus hours, vacation, wellness programs, educational opportunities, and access to a fitness centre.
Applicants can submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.