Managing Director, Hospitality
- Mar 15, 2015
- Feb 12, 2015
- Fort Edmonton Park
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Managing Director, Hospitality, is a member of the Senior Management Team of the Fort Edmonton Management Company. The Team is comprised of the Executive Director and five Managing Directors, one for each of the following Business Units, and their respective Divisions:
- Corporate & Customer Services (Marketing & Communications, HR, Volunteer Services, Administration, New Product Development)
- Operations (Maintenance, Custodial, Animal Welfare, Train Crew)
- Visitor Experience (Programming and Events, Costumes, Retail, Visitor Services)
- Finance (Financial Reporting, Payroll, AR/AP)
- Hospitality (Rooms & Reservations, Food & Beverage Production, Food & Beverage Service, Private Event and Sponsorship Sales)
In addition to serving as part of this corporate-wide, strategic planning and operations leadership team, the Managing Director, Hospitality is responsible for the overall management of the Hospitality Business Unit.
The Food and Beverage Production and Service Divisions of the Hospitality Unit, are responsible for on-site food service to the public as well as banquet services for private events. The Park hosts approximately 200-250 private events each year at 14 separate venues with guest counts from 12 to 2000. There are 5 permanent seasonal food outlets, including a full-service café, a licensed bar, bakery, fast food, and confectionary (ice cream). Additional temporary food outlets are set-up for special events as required (e.g. BBQ stations).
The Rooms and Reservations Division of the Hospitality Unit, manages the operation of a 29 guest room Hotel and coordinates events and activities taking place in the Hotel.
The Sales Division of the Hospitality Unit, is composed of Sales Persons and Event Coordinators, who work with private event clients and sponsors.
The ideal candidate will have proven expertise and considerable experience at a senior management level in the Hospitality industry, preferably within a large property. He/she will thrive in a fast paced environment, be well organized, have exemplary leadership abilities, be a strategic thinker and problem solver with strong communication and customer service skills, and possess a “can-do” attitude.
ResponsibilitiesThe Managing Director, Hospitality is responsible for organizing, directing, controlling and evaluating the Hospitality Business Unit.
- Directly supervise, direct, coach, support and evaluate performance of: the Culinary Director/Executive Chef, the Food and Beverage Manager, the Rooms & Reservations Manager, and the Sales Manager.
- Oversee the supervision of all staff working in the Hospitality Unit, ensure adherence to corporate policy regarding hiring and termination practices as well as performance monitoring.
- Oversee and continuously monitor inventory controls, cash handling, expenses (labour and cost of goods), and modify procedures and prices as required.
- Oversee and approve negotiations with third party vendors and suppliers.
- Work collaboratively with the Marketing & Communications Division to develop and implement advertising and promotion strategies for the Hospitality Unit.
- Work collaboratively with the Programming and Events Division with regard to food and beverage service requirements for events throughout the year.
- Work collaboratively with the Maintenance Division to ensure the continual physical upkeep of the Hotel Selkirk and other food service spaces.
- Work collaboratively with the Custodial Division to coordinate catering set-ups and strike-downs as well as overall cleanliness of the food outlet properties.
- Work collaboratively with New Product Development, Programming and Events Division to develop programming and packages centering on Hospitality services in the Park (e.g. Murder Mysteries, Scotch Tastings, etc.)
- Work collaboratively with Finance Unit to prepare budgeting, conduct nightly audits of Park-wide receipts and ensure compliance to cash handling processes.
- Ensure that customer complaints are resolved in a manner keeping with corporate values.
- Ensure health and safety regulations are followed.
- Oversee staff recruitment, training and scheduling, processes and practices.The Managing Director, Hospitality is required to participate in weekly Senior Management Team meetings and contribute to strategic planning and decision-making with respect to overall Park business.Support the development and continuation of corporate culture values and practices and encourage and monitor staff engagement.
- The completion of a post-secondary program, preferably in Hospitality or Business Administration (Equivalencies may be considered)
- A minimum of seven years’ practical experience in the hospitality industry, with evidence of increasing levels of responsibility
- A minimum of three years’ experience at a senior level in the Hospitality industry.
- Must possess exemplary communication skills and be fluent in both written and spoken English
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
The compensation range for this position is $80,000 to $117,000 per annum.An attractive benefits package is provided and will be discussed in a personal interview.
This posting will remain open until a successful candidate has been chosen. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Submit your resume to:
Bill Demchuk, Executive Director
Fort Edmonton Management Company