Vice-President, Business Development
- Apr 8, 2015
- Mar 30, 2015
- Travel Alberta
Travel Alberta is the tourism marketing organization of the Government of Alberta whose mission is to grow tourism revenues with compelling invitations to experience Alberta. Travel Alberta strives to empower individual passion and build inspirational leadership as ONE TEAM. If you want to be part of an award-winning organization with strong corporate values, passionate team members and a great culture, then Travel Alberta is the place for you.
Reporting to the President and Chief Executive Officer, the Vice-President, Business Development, as a member of the executive team, will be responsible for the overall management of Travel Alberta’s business development function. This includes leadership and oversight of three core sales building levers comprised of product and experience development, Travel Trade and MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Events). Ensures business unit efforts are coordinated and integrated with Travel Alberta’s Industry Development and Global Consumer Marketing business units.
The VP will develop and implement strategic growth initiatives that result in positioning Travel Alberta as the leader in product and experience development initiatives in conjunction with the growth of Travel Trade and MICE key accounts. A proactive approach to business development and execution that delivers on Travel Alberta’s strategic objectives and is relevant and practical to support Alberta’s tourism partners to grow their business.
- Act in collaboration with Senior Leadership Team to ensure business objectives and internal teams work together to achieve organizational goals.
- Lead and contribute to multiple business development initiatives that are consistent with Travel Alberta’s business strategy, supports Travel Alberta’s three lines of business and is accountable to the organization’s balanced scorecard.
- Lead strategic planning and execution of multi-year plans with business development teams to deliver on balanced scorecard metrics and ensure return on investment.
- Work in collaboration with VP, Global Consumer Marketing and VP, Industry Development to maximize financial, operational and marketing efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Lead planning of future experience development plan in collaboration with the Culture and Tourism Division, Industry Development and Travel Trade teams.
- Research, analyze and capitalize on economic impacts and trends, traveller motivations and competitor intelligence.
- Accountable for effective management, allocation and assessment of team resources, administrative budgets and policies, and ensuring all programs are executed with financial integrity.
- Develop a network of external relationships in the tourism community and government to gain and share access to information about future changes impacting visitation trends to Alberta and Canada.
Leadership and Partnerships
- Manage, develop and coach global business development teams – Travel Trade, MICE and Experience Development – by clarifying expectations, recognizing performance, developing team member competencies and supporting developmental opportunities.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders, key partners, and Business Development Directors to ensure the effectiveness and continual improvement of Travel Alberta's marketing programs.
- Effectively manage client relationships that ensure continued contract renewals.
- Proactively establish relationships with potential clients to develop long-term relationships and determine and define key business opportunities and challenges.
- Be the driving force in the development of the work ethic, culture and values of the sales and business development team.
- Cultivate a proficient team in developing and executing strategies and tactics that leverage Alberta experiences.
- Manage complex contract negotiation and involve appropriate parties such as legal counsel as needed.
- Degree in Business Management, Marketing, Tourism or related field.
- 10+ years’ experience in a high performance environments with demonstrated successive levels of responsibility and accountability. This could include Crown Corporation, Agency or private enterprise.
- Progressive experience in business development and marketing. Previous Tourism and Hospitality or Economic Development experience is an important asset.
- Deep understanding of B2B cross channel marketing.
- Experience designing products and experiences for wholesale and retail environments.
- Proven track record at closing complex and unique business deals.
- Experience executing complex, product driven, structured business deals.
- Experience working with marketing initiatives, campaigns, leading edge brands and online advertising.
- Excellent relationship skills, highly collaborative, can build rapport and credibility quickly with all levels of the organization and diverse industry.
- Excellent public speaking skills in front of small or large groups.
- Proven leadership; ability to build and motivate high performance teams that deliver results.
- Proven ability to prioritize and manage multiple accounts/projects, vendor relationships and deliver results.
- Highly developed project management and organizational skills. Works well under pressure and delivers on time.
- Demonstrated experience in research and evaluation methodologies to ensure marketing and communications return on investment.
- Strong financial understanding coupled with well-developed analytical skills. Proven ability to manage budget to spend targets; strong solutions orientated mindset.
- Aptitude to identify and analyze complex issues and provide creative solutions.
This position is based in the Calgary office. Some domestic and international travel is required.
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week, Employment Status: Permanent
This position offers an excellent benefits package with SunLife Financial, including extended health and dental coverage, life insurance, travel insurance, long term disability and a flexible spending account. This individual will also participate in a defined benefit plan with the Management Employees Pension Plan and Surplus Pension Plan (MEPP / SRP), have free and confidential access to Shepell-fgi (Employee Assistance Provider) and be a part of Travel Alberta’s Learning and Development program which includes up to 100% reimbursement to further education.
This year, Travel Alberta has been recognized for providing an exceptional place to work by being awarded Top 65 Employers in Alberta, Best Small and Medium Employers in Canada and one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures.
Closing Date: April 8, 2015
If you have the qualifications to succeed in this role, submit a cover letter and resume with the title in the subject line of your email to: email@example.com. If applicable, please indicate the name of the Travel Alberta Team Member who referred you to this role.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Any personal information submitted will be managed with the strictest of confidentiality.