Manager, Marketplaces & Events (Term)
- Dec 6, 2015
- Nov 25, 2015
- Travel Alberta
Travel Alberta is the tourism marketing agency of the Government of Alberta. A team of youthfully spirited adventurers lead in marketing Alberta’s authentic experiences in breathtaking landscapes around the world. Our mission: to create economic value and prosperity with compelling invitations to explore Alberta.
Travel Alberta strives to empower individual passion and build inspirational leadership as ONE TEAM. If you want to be part of an award-winning organization with strong corporate values, passionate team members and a great culture, then Travel Alberta is the destination for you.
Reporting to the Director, Industry Events and Engagement, the Manager, Events and Marketplaces will be responsible for the overall planning, coordination, execution and evaluation of external-facing events, marketplaces and trade shows.
- Lead on Travel Alberta external-facing public relations events including Canada’s West Marketplace, Rendez-vous Canada, and other special events
- Participate on Industry Conference Planning Committee and assist with all logistics on the planning, execution and evaluation of Industry Conference and Altos
- Assist with the planning, execution and evaluation of Speaker Series, Road Shows and other industry events as required
- Hire and supervise contractors, including, but not limited to, events and logistics, registration, sponsorship and technology
- Manage logistical needs for events including securing venues, planning audio visual requirements, organizing food and beverage, coordinating registration, etc.
- Liaise with host destination, including negotiating their contribution and any components they are responsible for
- Liaise with Alberta tourism suppliers (sellers) on attending the show and communicate all relevant trade show information as required
- Manage logistical components in conjunction with the events and logistics contractor for space requirements for the trade show and functions
- Ensure meaningful measurements are incorporated into the events and measure and report on performance/satisfaction
- Develop and manage timelines and critical paths, ensuring deadlines are met
- Manage events budget, including forecasting
- Plan and execute sponsorship opportunities as required
- Prepare event evaluation report, chair debrief meeting and determine and implement strategic and tactical changes to Alberta’s presence at key events
Leadership and Partnerships
- Manage, develop and coach events teams (two Team Members) – clarifying expectations, recognizing performance, developing team member competencies and supporting developmental opportunities
- Proactively consult with business units on event specific needs and develop event briefs and ongoing status reports
- Manage and maintain partnerships with vendors and tourism partnerships
- Source suppliers/agencies, coordinate quotes/requests for proposals, negotiate contracts
- Manage booth partnerships and placement
- Certification through a recognized event planning, communications, public relations or related field
- 3+ years’ event management experience in high performance environments
- Previous experience in a leadership role
- Experience in event planning, managing large-scale trade shows and events
- Experience managing contractors and third party vendors
- Experience in the tourism industry is an asset
- Understanding of event marketing and infrastructural requirements
- Familiarity of legislation and regulations pertaining to the event industry, especially with regard to risk, health and safety, and its impact upon events management
- Understanding of event measurement
- Aptitude to identify and analyze complex issues and provide creative solutions
- Highly developed project management and organizational skills. Works well under pressure and delivers on time
This position is based in the Calgary office
Some domestic travel is required
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Employment Status: Maternity Leave
(Approximately 1 year and 2 month term)
This position offers an excellent benefits package with SunLife Financial, including extended health and dental coverage, life insurance, travel insurance, long term disability and a flexible spending account. This individual will also participate in a defined benefit plan with the Management Employees Pension Plan (MEPP), have free and confidential access to Shepell-fgi (Employee Assistance Provider) and be a part of Travel Alberta’s Learning and Development program which includes up to 100% reimbursement to further education.
In 2014, Travel Alberta was recognized for providing an exceptional place to work by being awarded Top 65 Employers in Alberta, Best Small and Medium Employers in Canada and one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures.
Closing Date: December 6, 2015
If you have the qualifications to succeed in this role, submit a cover letter and resume with the title in the subject line of your email to: email@example.com. If applicable, please indicate the name of the Travel Alberta Team Member who referred you to this role.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Any personal information submitted will be managed with the strictest of confidentiality.