As we look toward a very busy summer for Alberta’s tourism industry, there has never been a better time to relaunch Alberta to the world.
After ten years, Travel Alberta’s award-winning brand (remember to breathe) is evolving to respond to the shifts in our world, the travel industry, traveller desires, and our new mandate as a destination management organization. At the heart of this brand evolution is a renewed focus on Alberta’s people and personality because that is part of our unique, competitive advantage.
What we learned
In 2021 Travel Alberta surveyed over 5,000 people, locally and in key markets including Toronto, Montreal, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Houston and London (U.K.). We also ran a series of focus groups, interviewing more than 200 people from Alberta, B.C., Ontario, London, China, Japan, Germany, U.S. and Mexico.
We learned from our brand perception research that while landscapes continue to be our biggest draw, combining people plus landscapes is a stronger draw. We also learned that visitors think Canada first if they even think of Alberta at all.
Our engagement efforts surfaced five distinct attributes about Alberta:
- Distinctively Canadian: Everything iconic you love about Canada, with a twist. We’re an outlier among Canadians; bolder, louder, less in-line.
- Spirited: We work hard and play hard. Albertans are brave, bold, and courageous; we approach life with unbridled energy and a glint in our eye.
- Independent: Born of our western roots, we don’t always conform. We have a fierce belief in ourselves and aren’t afraid to go it alone and try new things.
- Welcoming: The ultimate hosts, we love gathering and bringing people together. Warm, hospitable, and refreshingly down-to-earth.
- Freeing: Full of open spaces and opportunity; a liberating escape from what holds you down and holds you back. Who you are and where you came from doesn’t matter here.